Solcast Global Solar Power Forecast Integration

Pointing to a different repo won’t really “fix” anything except getting rid of the ghost update notifications. Existing installs should continue to work. The main problem going forward will be any maintenance around Solcast API changes.

FYI, your release tag is wrong, the v4.0.22 release and tag should point to commit 344b19e (or any of the previous ones saying “v4.0.22” because all but one of those changes only changes the readme file, which isn’t included by HACS).

Setting the “4.0.22” tag to a more recent commit (in this case 41ed6a0) will confuse matters.

@DragonQ sorry, you’re right… I have corrected the v4.0.22 tag to the correct commit and made an additional release v4.0.22.1 with the FredricMa’s commit.

Hi, i’ve cloned today’s (midnight) version of @anon7821378 repo as i have reported him an issue and he helped me to get it sorted out.

The last tag was v4.0.23.1. (tabascoz fork)

@anon7821378 thanks for all your work! As this extension is of great importance to everyone running solar production I am sure is much appreciated by everyone.

Despite all the headache. I hope you reconsider your decision and restore the repo :slight_smile:

1 Like

The 41ed6a commit isn’t on your v3 branch, I wonder where that went?

For now I’ve added it to a dev branch unless someone can confirm that commit was part of v4.0.23 or later.

Ehm… The user oziee does not seem to exist anymore on github and with that the whole repository is gone… Anybody else seeing that?

@twilek read through the last posts here…

Oziee has deleted both his github account and HA forums account. The custom integration will need someone new to take over and the existing HACS integration will be broken until the change occurs in HACS.

1 Like

Please can you advise the best way forward for people who have Oziee’s integration installed via HACS?

I want to ensure HA will restart successfully. Is the best way forward to add @Dehumanizer 's (or @tabascoz 's) repo as a Custom repository in HACS? If I do this then is HA likely to restart ok?

I understand the longer term solution is to wait for a new HACS update, but am looking for a short term solution.

I’ve restarted HA since this debacle and the integration is still working fine. I would advise to do nothing until a new maintainer comes forward.

You could theoretically add a custom HACS repo pointing to a fork but I don’t know if that’d clash with or break the existing integration (since it has the same name etc.).

I have removed the solar forecast from the dashboard, removed integration from HA, and uninstalled it from HACS. After that I could restart without problem. (I did not attempt restarting before that, so that may or may not have worked too).

But be advised the forked repos above did not install from HACS because they gave a download error. I did not attempt a manual install, but I would expect it to work.

Me neither! Hence the q to a mod.

There are two steps, first, installing the repo from HACS, you can actually have both installed, and second, when you actually enable the integration at settings/devices and services, if you install it twice (if it will let you, I think it depends on the integration), you’ll have two devices. You can even install an integration multiple times if you only have it installed once in HACS (or of it’s part of HA itself). Example of this is onvif, you can add it as many times as you wish, depends on number of cameras you have.
If you have both “old” solcast and fork installed, you’ll see solcast integration twice when you will be adding it and you won’t know which one is which.
But if you have it installed and working, you don’t have to do anything as @DragonQ said, it will work until solcast mades an incompatible change on their side.

It won’t. Just use the new endpoint.

1 Like

Apologies if I ventured a speculative reason for the sudden demise without warning. My bad.

Does anyone know what has changed from v4.0.22 to v4.0.23. Did the developer already implement the measures to reduce traffic which he mentioned on github?

Yesterday after an update in HA the Solcast extension stopped fetching data

When it happens it is usually one of the tree options: Solcast instability, update in HA or API demanding a change of a mix of things.

I looked at debug info and saw an error in the extension, not been able to create a file sites.json. Given that i opened a ticket, which has been promptly fixed by Oziee and issue was closed resolved.

The Solcast integration started to work again and it still is.

I run HA in total “manual” standalone mode, have a gentoo box so all extensions i mange are from git and manual installs. So i have no idea (never seen) how HACS actually work and i am not planning to move away from this install ( also from Gentoo).

I have little availability to maintain the extension, but if no one really takes it over, I’ll take a look at the code and see if i can maintain it. But I’d more happy to join/support a team, given my limited knowledge of HACS and knowing that most of the people runs HA this way.

@carlo to your question, i understand the changes and the error i got was related to traffic reduction, but it is a rouge guess as I haven’t had time to look at the code and understand codebase/changes.

@DragonQ The 41ed6a commit wasn’t also present on Oziee’s repo. the clone is the last snapshot from today around midnight gmt time. I think repo got deleted some hours after i checked it out the last time. :frowning:

This is a terribly miss, I understand sometimes you’re not in the greatest day and you take some comments/support asks that goes under the skin - it happens to everyone.
But also its rewarding when you’re doing a great think to the community like this code.

4 Likes

I just found the changelog in the info.md on your forked repo. Here are the changes in v4.0.23:

v4.0.23

• Changed some log output messages to include more information

• if polling api fails keep using current data

• for now removed the api counter sensors.. one less api endpoint that might cuse 429 status

• changed the total_kwh_forecast_today sensor class from 'measurement' to 'total' for statistics

• hopefully sensors when things go really wrong will show unknown and not just 0

I will stick with v4.0.22 as it is currently working. Hopefully someone can take over…

@Dehumanizer Thanks for this. It got me up and running again.

I have forked your Repo, got it running, got references changes, and submitted it to HACS so that it can be included as an installable repository.

Like you, I’m not a python programmer, but I have (and am still) consuming the Solcast API in another project, so can take on maintaining this for Solcast API changes, and can accept PRs for other changes.

Right now, it is a manually installable repository, and if you install it, it is updatable; references are updated to my repository (no longer pointing to the oziee repo).

2 Likes

@ffm777 Carlo, can you point me to a repo that has v4.0.23 so that I can look at the changes - I’d be happy to try to incorporate those in my repo (at GitHub - BJReplay/ha-solcast-solar: Solcast Integration for Home Assistant)

1 Like