Solution to a hanged "Preparing Home Installation" screen during new install on a Raspberry Pi 4 (DNS fix)

I had the issue of supervisor not having internet, came across this and didn’t help. Then I realized that my system date was wrong. So I did this:

• typed login to go into different cli
  • typed date --set=“2022-12-07 07:00” where the date is your current date
  • typed exit
  • typed host reboot

and it started to work

1 Like

I followed the Solution provided by the op, however, this did not fully resolve my problem. This was my experience:
After performing the command: set ipv4.dns 1.1.1.1, I was able to verify the new dns setting (1.1.1.1) using “print”. However, after I did a host restart, while there were no boot errors displayed, when the host restarted, the dns setting (1.1.1.1) had been lost. Moreover, there were persistent errors in the supervisor logs, and the stalled/hanged “Preparing Home Installation” screen persisted.
However, if I used the Solution modification provided by meyerdenney (adding: set ipv4.ignore_auto-dns yes), then after the host restart command the HAOS booted successfully (no boot errors and no supervisor log errors) and the HAOS started remotely without stalling at the “Preparing Home Installation” screen (although it took several minutes to finish, as expected).
So for me, the extra command to set ipv4.ignore_auto-dns yes was critical. Thank you all for providing your help. You really saved my bacon.

This was the solution for me. Thanks!

I’m also unable to get the nmcli settings to stick. I update them, print shows that they are present, I enter save and exit and host restart, but when I go back to nmcli the settings have been reset.

How do I get these to stick on a VM?

For users in China: home assistant pulls docker image from ghcr.io, which is blocked in China. A free network is needed.

1 Like

I’ve tried all the suggestions here, many times over, but the settings won’t stick.

I’ve done a couple of previous installs with no issue but on one site decided to separate Frigate and HA to dedicated RPis. I gather the issue may be trigged by attempting a setup with another HA instance already on the network? Can not believe how tedious this is!!!

I’m trying to figure out why the incorrect settings are persisting in a fresh install of the OS…could anything be achieved by setting up the box first with rapsbian? [makes no sense clutching at straws…]

well turned out there was [also] a problem with time not being set preventing the network booting. the steps here yielded success.

[Changing the NTP Server in HassOS - LedHed's Wiki]

Thanks much! I was beating my head against the wall with the DNS change and came across this post. Success! Thank you again for posting.

I had exactly the same situation, but I was restoring HASS yellow - and possibility to access CLI didn’t exist. However, in Asus router, I forced HASS DHCP IP and DHCP DNS server to external (not the router) DNS server. That did the trick and I got rid of “Preparing Home Installation” dialog and forward.

You are a F’in hero! This works…took 2 min after the reboot to get to the final setup. Thank you very much for the great detail!

OMG!!! I might be late to the party, but THANK YOU!!!

I have been trying to get this to work for 2 weeks with no luck. And 10 min after finding your post I got HA up and running.