[SOLVED] ConBee II not recognized on HA Blue (Odroid N2+)

Hello Community,

I received my ConBee II today and I was ready for what I believed would be an easy and straight-forward installation. How wrong was I :slight_smile:

Upon connecting the ConBee II stick to one of the available USB port of the Home Assistant Blue (Odroid N2+), the stick was not recognized at all.

serial:
  - /dev/ttyS0
  - /dev/ttyS1
  - /dev/ttyS2
  - /dev/ttyS3
  - /dev/ttyAML0
input:
  - meson-ir

I tried adding the ZHA integration from the interface, but here too, the (see image). Manually trying with /dev/ttyAML0 sadly didn’t work either.

What am I doing wrong and has someone succeeded?

Thanks!

1 Like

I can only offer some generic advice, but have you looked in Supervisor > System > Host System > dot menu > Hardware (as per the docs) to see which device paths are available?

I don’t have HA blue myself but I have been reading that the back plate of the blue is to thick. The conbee seems to physically not connecting removing the backplate solves the problem.

5 Likes

Does using a USB extension cable resolve this problem?… It looks like it would.
(should it be the case that the enclosure preventing the Conbee II from fully plugging in as described above by @proton999 )

Since anyway, as you may already be a familiar: the Conbee II’s manufacturer recommends using a usb 2.0 extension cable so strongly that The support request template specifically asks if the customer is using one

Please let us know if you try one and it works!

Have fun with your new SBC platform…looks nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @carver and @proton999 for your tips and @robertklep for taking the time to comment. Took myself to the local store and bought an extension cord. The ConBee II was directly recognized :slight_smile: Problem solved.

Moving on to adding the sensors !

4 Likes

Glad to be able to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

For reference, the same problem exists for the busware CUL stick. The backplane of the HA Blue is too think for this one.

lol i can’t believe it, but this fixed it for me too!

1 Like

The USB stick was recognized automatically on my Raspberry Pi3B+ but not on the HA Blue.
Had to order an USB extension cable too to get it working. Crazy technology.

Just doesn’t fit in all the way with the enclosure.

Thank you m8. I can’t believe that after 3 hours of frustration, it proved to be a thick case. Cheers for the solution.

thanks guys, after hour of screwing around.
I cut few mm of plastic off the stick to make longer.

I was using the pi4 with a ss hardrive and the geekworm parts. I had to extend away from it for both zwave and zigbee sticks.

Yapp. That was the problem. Used 3 hours before I found this post. Taking the back plate off the Blue recognized the ConBeeII. Now, have to find a grinder to shave some mm of the back plate. Sig…

UPDATE:
For the power cord drilled out the opening to 10 mm diameter so the power plug goes all the way in.
Filed down the section for the USBs so the ConBeeII was able to connect.

2 Likes

I think an extension cable is preferable although not as neat. All USB3 ports generate interference that impacts plug in RF devices. Moving them a little distance away helps considerably.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the workaround with an extension cable does not work for me. I’ve tried different ones with no effect. No Conbee 2. Nowhere.

Maybe I’m just too stupid to find the stick in the hardware overview. Can anyone help me? I am grateful for any assistance.

I’m using Home Assistant OS 7.3 / core-2022.2.3 on a Home Assistant Blue machine.