[SOLVED] HASSOS mount NAS network share

I have solved this way.
I’ve mounted, in Proxmox Datacenter, my NAS folder in NFS.
Then in my Frigate CT I’ve added a mount point to it.
In the CT, with Portainer, I’ve adjusted the Frigate docker Volumes to the ones I needed, and now all seems to work
Only the db folder is local, because otherwise I get a db locked message.

Thanks for your suggestion!

2 Likes

This solution seems to be broken?
I followed the tutorial and it did work. Some days/restarts later It seems like Frigate /HAOS have reverted back to the Frigate folder on the HAOS install… (No more videos coming to the nas but reside in HA.

Latest version of both HAOS and Frigate at the time of writing.

Have you updated the OS recently? Each time you update the fstab gets overwritten…

1 Like

Ahh, thanks, that might be it.

Lots of great info here. Unfortunately I can’t get the mount to work. I followed the ukro’s steps exactly as indicated but the NAS share never mounts. When logged into the root I ran mount -a to try to force it to run and I get this error:

unkown filesystem type ‘cifs’

I get the same error when trying to run “mount -t cifs…” as well. Any thoughts? I’m running HomeAssistant OS as a VM in VMWare on a Windows machine.

You may not have cifs installed?

Try:

sudo modprobe cifs

Or:

apt-get install cifs-utils

I tried that but I get errors for each of those.

sudo modprobe cifs: sudo: not found
modprobe cifs: Module modprobe not found in directory /lib/modules/5.15.72
apt-get install cifs-utils: apt-get: not found

From what i tested it is not possible to mount manualy on host, only through fstab.

If you want, from thursday i will be @ home and can remotely connect and help you with it + skype. PM me if you need.

I tried the script just now with 22.11.4 and it didn’t work. Does it still work?

Hi, i have no time to update it to main branch and the image. If you take the script from dev branch, it should work. Let me know.

I switched over to Proxmox and I can’t seem to ever see the attached disk using either fdisk -l or lsblk. I followed these exact instructions (104.conf is the file for my Ubuntu VM). Even after rebooting several times I can never see the HA disk. I even tried attaching disks from other VMs - same thing, so I assume this is something specific to my Proxmox install. Just curious if you had to do anything special in order to be able to see the VM in fdisk or lsblk.

When i’m using my image, everything is shown. You can even open gparted gui and check it before running my script. It must work as its over a year and it was always working for me.

I am now working on new automated iso with script that will take fstab file from custom_components folder and copy it to squashedfs Home assistant.
Will updated info here and on github. It will be very easy process. Logging will be also saved to custom_components.

Enjoy new tutorial & new automated image. Tested on latest HA, working perfectly.
Feel free to report problems.

Looks like there will finally be native support for this in 2023.6!

2 Likes

Can confirm this works. Just set up a storage location called “frigate” all in lower case, pointing to your NAS share, and frigate (after a restart) will create recordings and clips folders and use the network storage just fine.

Finally - no more recreating shares after each OS update!

2 Likes

Finally !!! Thank you for confirming. Will wait for some feedback and then move to this update. Please let us know on any issues. After some time will close the FR. <3

Seems to be doing fine so far. You need to remove any existing mounts to the frigate folder, restart, make the storage location in the UI as described and restart Frigate.

When you setup a new network storage to you select Backup, Media or Share?
The ‘name’ should be ‘frigate’?
thanks