[Solved] Negative values of energy?

I have not noticed any issues with daily energy meters.

If you wanted to specifically track and reset energy sensors by hour/day/week/month/year etc. then you can use the utility_meter integration:

Ah, it’s one of those one minute average energy sensors. I have no idea why manufacturers keep implementing those. They are no use at all. You get just as much information from a power sensor.

So, if i’m correct i’m using the wrong sensor info? i should get my utility meters totals instead of the current usage?

I should used this one (tarief 1) and tarief 2 (for night and day usage).
These are the actual counters that are shown on the utility meter/ these counters never go down.
Not even with solar charging (do not have this yet) because those are 2 different counters| that also only go up in numbers.

Name	                            Value       Unit	
Energie Gebruikt tarief 1	        4637.594	kWh
Energie Gebruikt tarief 2	        4912.754	kWh

i'm now using this sensor that shows the current usage every 10 seconds... 
This value goes up and down depending on the use of electricity.

Vermogen Gebruikt	                0.396   	kW 

Full sensor details (in case i missed another sensor that could be of value) it also shows unused sensors
as we do not have solar panels (yet) and we do not have a natural gas meter (all upcoming in about a year and a half when we move):

Energie Gebruikt tarief 1	4637.679	kWh
Energie Gebruikt tarief 2	4912.754	kWh
Energie Opgewekt tarief 1	0	kWh
Energie Opgewekt tarief 2	0.175	kWh
Vermogen Gebruikt	0.399	kW
Vermogen Opgewekt	0	kW
Voltage l1	232.6	V
Voltage l2	229.7	V
Voltage l3	229.8	V
Current l1	0.74	A
Current l2	0.61	A
Current l3	1.44	A
Vermogen Gebruikt l1	0.104	kW
Vermogen Gebruikt l2	0.079	kW
Vermogen Gebruikt l3	0.215	kW
Vermogen Opgewekt l1	0	kW
Vermogen Opgewekt l2	0	kW
Vermogen Opgewekt l3	0	kW
MBus-1 Gebruikt	0	m3
MBus-2 Gebruikt	0	GJ
MBus-3 Gebruikt	0	m3
MBus-4 Gebruikt	0	m3
Gas Gebruikt	0	

This whole Energy monitor in HA is driving me nuts !!!

I’m having this same issue, all I want it to track my grid usage then track each entity I have in my home…
But feels like I have to be a electrical engineer to understand half of this stuff…

As below, I’m now seeing the same…

Here is the sensor…

Can somebody please explain what the heck I’m doing wrong here?!

same issue.
Im using “accumulated” kWh sensor.

state_class: total
unit_of_measurement: kWh
device_class: energy
friendly_name: accumulated consumption house

All these issues started when i upgraded to 2021.12

Dev tools

I can confirm this. Energy monitoring worked well for me, but something happened after upgrading to 2021.12. It looks like it resets wrong at midnight. It should start with 0 kWh, but starts with the total consumption from the previous day as a negative number. If the consumption for the next day is less than the previous day, I end up with a total negative consumption. I am pretty sure I don’t produce any energy to the grid.

1 Like

I see the same issue since upgrade to 2021.12.

1 Like

I have also the same issue after 2021.12 upgrade !

1 Like

I have the same issue with the 2021.12.7 is this fixed already?

I’m using the Tibber-integration (Tibber is my power supplier) so the solution for me was to change the sensor to this one :
sensor.last_meter_consumption.xyz…

For other integrations I dont know, but it’s related to how the sensor is calculating energy usage.

2 Likes

This semi fixed the problem for me too. I don’t have any negative energy bars any longer, but now all the energy usages are an hour off.

sensor.accumulated_consumption_address updates constantly but has the huge drop/negative energy, but during the day the energy bars are correct

sensor.last_meter_consumption_address updates for me ~10 seconds past the hour so all my bars are always 1 hour late, but no negative energy bars.

I guess we have to wait until Add missing `last_rest` in Tibber by Danielhiversen · Pull Request #61914 · home-assistant/core · GitHub gets released.

See this comment for more information: Tibber - Energy - Large negative consumption around midnight · Issue #61551 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

I also have this strange issue with version 2022.7.3.
My main power meter (poweropti) shows negative values.

The kWh value is permanently increasing.

but the energy dashboard shows negative values:

Also one of my five sockets shows a huge negative value:

I guess I can join the ranks of those with issues:

I have a blitzwolf plug, and I made a sensor using Riemann sum integration. The energy usage of the plug looks fine to me, however, just the energy dashboard is affected.

Home Assistant 2022.7.6
Supervisor 2022.07.0
Operating System 8.2
Frontend 20220707.1 - latest

same issue. Negative values after upgrade in March 23.

In another thread saw it should be fixed after latest update, but didnt fix it.

1 Like

Same here, on april it was okay, I changed nothing in settings…

Was someone able to solve this? I’m using “Power sensor” With left riemann integration to create an energy entity, and I randomly have negative values on the energy dashboard.

1 Like

@FollonSaxBass

This was supposedly fixed in 6.0 or 6.1 (introduced in 5.0)…no one has confirmed it’s actually fixed (yet). Are you seeing it on 6.1 or 6.2?

Just had the same issue happen.

I have four identical Gosund Smart plugs, same version of ESPHome and yaml config.

Home Assistant 2023.9.2
Supervisor 2023.09.2
Operating System 10.5
Frontend 20230911.0 - latest

All using Total Daily Energy sensor in kWh.
Two are showing properly, two are not. No idea what is causing this… any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Same issue this month.
I’ve got negative values in energy dashboard, but ever-increasing values in the history of the sensors.
However, I’ve got missing history data (due to offline devices) on the day the dashboard shows negative values.
Maybe this is correlated ?

1 Like