[SOLVED] Using Ikea Tradfri Shortcut Button and Tradfri On/Off switch

Found out a more easier way, done this some minutes ago with 5 Buttons which wont work before. With wich i fought since this morning. The pairing process with the Tradfri hub is very helpful :D, just adopt this to HA (How to use the TRÅDFRI shortcut button - YouTube):

1. Place the Shortcutbutton 2-5cm away from your Zigbee Stick.
  2. Search for new Devices.
  3. Press the connect switch and hold the switch for 10 secs.
  4. After that pairing will instant be successfull and the button is usable.

Seems there is kind off touchlink for the first initial pairing wich must be obtained.

1 Like

Seems like that is exactly what the manual also says.

What i have said, my steps above came from the ikea manual. But it seems that most of the people pair the button „far away“ and get problems with this method - so its hit and miss if the button will work, partiell work or wont work.

Dont know if anyone can help…

Button all connected etc but when I press I get the following appear in the log, and obviously doesnt turn the device on. Have also tried with different plugs inc Ikeas own.

2023-06-28 15:03:37.621 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation.controller_ikea_e1812_tradfri_shortcut_button] Ikea Button: Error executing script. Invalid data for call_service at pos 3: not a valid value for dictionary value @ data[‘entity_id’]

Any help is appreciated.

I added Shortcut buttons yesterday with much of the problems mentioned in this thread.

• Button either did not ad
  • One button was added and functional, but it was also bound with my Aquara H1 switch in other room so turning on lights each time I used it (tried three times, it was always bound to the swich - as it was probably the strongest Zigbee Router around)

I found this nice guide: Adding IKEA Tradfri Devices with ZHA on Home Assistant · GitHub
Then I did these:

• Added buttons to Ikea Dirigera gateway and waited for firmwaret o be update (was 23.0.something
    now 24.4.5) Beware, it takes 2 hours to update. Also the battery must be fresh for Dirigera to start the update.
  • Removed buttons from Dirigera
  • Added buttons to ZHA again, makeking sure:
    ** adding throung signal repeater (Add devices via this device)
    ** first trigger paiting on button - 4x link pres till it blinks - and only then Add devices via this device in ZHA signal repeater device Device info page
    ** holding the button near to signal repeater (seems it really has problems to properly “dialog” and initialize if not close)
1 Like