(SOLVED) ZHA connection failed with SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 Dongle

This is how I figured it out, at least it is not giving me any errors. I have not added any devices yet.

First, in the doc for HA for the docker implementation, you need to make sure the device is discoverable by adding it into the docker-compose.yml file.

Then you will see the device show up in the integration setup. Pick ZNP option since that is what it says to pick in the Sonoff documentation. Make sure either nothing or hardware is selected.

Make sure the antenna is not connected and it should connect just fine.

So what helped me was adding dev folder to my docker-compose.yaml of home assitant. Then after restart it was able to detect sonoff USB stick and connect

volumes:
    - /dev:/dev
devices:
    - "/dev/ttyUSB0:/dev/ttyUSB0"
1 Like

I just want share that I was having the same problem using home assistant core installed from the arch linux repositories. It turns out that the permissions on the dongle device file (/dev/USB0) were rw-rw---- with user root, and group uucp. The systemd file installed creates a hass user, but that user doesn’t have permissions to access the device. In order to give access to the hass user, one can use systemctl edit --full home-assistant.service and add the line SupplementaryGroups=uucp, which will add the hass user to the uucp group. Then, after a systemctl daemon-reload and systemctl restart home-assistant.service you should be up and running.

4 Likes

Tearing my hair out trying to get it to work, but was solved with @CopOnTheRun solution above, only my device was in “dialout” group. Added to the systemd unit file and bingo!

I had the same problem and it turned out that I had forgot to add my user to the crucial groups (I use core).

sudo usermod -a -G dialout,gpio,i2c homeassistant

Fixed the issue. For a diagnostic I must add that in the console I was getting the following errors/warning

2022-02-08 17:00:58 ERROR (MainThread) [zigpy_zigate.common] Unable to set PiZiGate GPIO, please check configuration
2022-02-08 17:00:58 ERROR (MainThread) [zigpy_zigate.common] No access to /dev/mem.  Try running as root!
1 Like

So as many have mentioned here it has something to do with permisions, i was able to make it work by doing chmod on the /ttyUSB0 and giving more permissions.
This is probably not the right way to do it but it worked for me

chmod a+rwx ttyUSB0

1 Like

Hi,
just went into the same case, last Hassio, and /dev/tty/usbxx or ACMxxx were on group dialout.
As my previous zigee conbee II controller was working with these rights I dig into other options.
In fact I simply solved the trouble just with :
serial:
port: /dev/ttyUSB1
baudrate: 115200

Spent hours just for that… Hope it can help others.

/klona

hi
just wanted to know is this possible to do through home assistant dashboard or should I be accessing the RPI? Since in the new version I just cant find the device through supervisors any more like before.
I am still tucked on the version of 2022.04 which is still stable with all the ZHA devices, whenever I update the entire ZHA integration fails.

1 Like

After uninstalling mqtt & zigbee2mqtt
Adding a usb extension from the Pi
& disconnecting the antenna

IT FINALLY WORKED!!!
(not sure if it was one or a combination of those things but victory is now at hand.

Dude, you saved my life.

Im running HA core on LUbuntu and after hours of try this and that …

sudo chmod a+rwx /dev/ttyACM0

Many thanks!

Thanks a ton! solved it for me.
On Ubuntu 22.04 the group is dialout, so the line becomes SupplementaryGroups=dialout

Hi everyone, I have also a problem like this one;
I’m running HA in Docker, so, MQTT and zigbee2mqtt and separate containers.
My dongle appear in HA integrations but when I try to adopt him (Do you want to set up SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus V2?) it return the error: Failed to probe the usb device

Any ideias? Thanks

Hey I seemed to have sort of the same issue but for me the problem was caused by the Silicon Labs Multiprotocol running, while it didnt show that it was running at first it kept trying to connect to the sonoff adapter (this was visable when looking at the logs), after waiting a bit and refreshing the page (ctrl, f5) it did show up as running and then I could stop it. This is what fixed the issue for me. Would be nice to have some sort of warning in the UI that tells you something else is running please first stop that instead of just “failed to setup” when trying to reload. Hope this might help someone and have a nice day!

I’ve tried everything here and still cannot get ZHA to connect to my dongle.

I’m running Home Assistant (snap install) on Ubuntu and I have the Zigbee 3.0 Dongle E. This machine is a low powered micro pc that hosts a nextcloud instance.

I updated the firmware on the dongle, changed permissions to /dev/ttyACM0, added my user to crucial groups and nothing has solved the issue. I also tried adding a usb extension and removing the antenna but that also had no impact either.

Is there another dongle worth buying or is there some other explanation for why this doesn’t work? I’m a novice, just getting into HA and so far finding this extremely frustrating.

same here still not works

I restoded frpm an old backup and then update it again and it works but I have problem to install the ewelink addons

My solution seems to be that ZHA and Zigbee2MQTT cannot run at the same time.
I had running Zigbee2MQTT (in docker) and tried to add also ZHA. That didn’t work and gave me the errors.
After stopping Zigbee2MQTT container I could add ZHA successfully.

I’m not sure which I’m going to use later on.
Zigbee2MQTT did not pickup battery of added button device. ZHA did.

1 Like

Not working is expected. ZHA and Z2M would both be competing to talk to the same sonoff USB dongle, and both would want exclusivity…

After learning this I did find indeed texts that say you can’t have both running. I bought the Sonoff USB and as a beginner thought to install both to look which was best for my needs. Hope I made the right choice with ZHA and disable Z2M.
More off-topic: I’m not satisfied with the range of controller. 7meters is apparently to far.

Thank you for the tip, I now can run one or the other I will stick with zigbee2mqtt, zha isn`t displaying all the properties on my devices.
thanks again.