Some ESP32 boards too "weak" for Waveshare epaper HATs? Reliable options?

Hi, after trying out various code options and power supplies to get my esp32 devkit v1 => waveshare epaper hat => waveshare 7.5 v2 setup to display anything other than a blank white screen, I ran into this thread over at the arduino forum (Waveshare E-Paper Display HAT not working with ESP32 Dev Kit C V2 - #4 by ZinggJM - Displays - Arduino Forum), hinting at the possibility that on one side the regulator on the dev kit might be a bit underpowered, and the layout of the hat board makes it even worse. (In the end this might also be the explanation for the random hickups with my working 2.9inch display that sometimes needs a nudge/reboot to get out of a stuck refresh cycle.)

In the arduino thread the solution is to make adjustments to the arduino code, which doesnt really help with esphome :frowning:

Therefore my question: is that a known issue with certain ESP32 boards aka their voltage regulators? And if so: do you have recommendations that are a bit more rock-solid?

I have now ordered the dedicated waveshare esp32 driver board, but in the end a more generic solution/board would be my preference.

Thanks a in advance, cheers :slight_smile:

Take a look at this post and thread.

1 Like

Thanks for the “needle in the hay stack” :slight_smile:
Did you already have the experience yourself that certain peripherals (or particularly displays) didnt work or work unreliably with a questionable ESP board?

Yes. That’s basically why I created that thread;)

Swapping to a good board with good connections, good cables and a good power supply often solves issues for me.

I you want a good quality board for an important project, the QuinLEDs are probably the go.

2 Likes

Well then I’ll get in line for when they re-stock again, thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like these ones too. Especially for battery projects.

AU $11.56 | LILYGO® TTGO T7 Mini32 V1.5 ESP32-WROVER-E Dual Core PSRAM Wireless Wi-Fi Bluetooth Module Development Circuit Board CH9102
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqZ7IuE