"Sonoff iHost" (smart home hub/computer) from ITead - Can it be hacked to run Home Assistant OS with Bluetooth, Thread/Matter, and ZHA integrations?

Hey all
I found a hidden option in the ewelink app.
If you enter the app and select Ihost Device Settings, press 7 times on Device ID, a menu will appear with the choice Select MaskRom mode?
Maybe it could be something for those of you who can program?!

It seems someone has reprogram/reflash this hardware with his own linux:

1 Like

That’s a great start! It seems we are heading the right direction. Once all hardware in this Linux variant is supported it should be done in a breeze do port HAOS on it. Awesome developement!!! Well done guys!

Heres a second one: RV1109RV1126-Linux-iHost-Hardware-Distribution - eWeLink CUBE - eWeLink Forum

1 Like

No one interested in porting HAOS on ihost? :frowning:

1 Like

the ihost in the current shape I had gotten last week was not that great or a real mess. You do not have access to the command line therefore no chance to move your installation files to a save place cause with the first update from HA announced where I pressed OK and lost all data.

Therefore I would love to run HAOS with all its glory on the ihost instead of running that on an older Pi3 like I do right now. But I have no clue how too port it. Sorry.

as soon as someone ported a some sort of debian based disto on it, you can probably do a supervised install, which is the closest thing to HAOS.

you can only run HA on ihost via docker, and if you did update it, i highly suspect that you did not expose the /config directory on the container like somewhere on ihost SD card or a USB connected storage device.

if you wanna know about it just google ‘docker expose volumes’

a proper HA docker install with /config exposed to the sd card. updating the container should not result of you ha config and data loss.

1 Like

It seems that you can now manage volumes and the files within them through file management - with the latest 1.7.0 version:

Yes, I have HomeAssistant (Docker) running + HACS. With Filebrowser I have access to the configuration folder and files. It looks pretty well now. One thing missing though, is direct access to the native Zigbee hub. At the moment Zigbee devices connected to the iHost need to go through Homebridge. Also the list of supported Zigbee devices is small, but growing.
Everything works so far. But I would love to see an ‘open’ iHost version running Home Assistant proper.

1 Like

How did you installed HACS on HA docker inside iHost?

This might be helpful:

Download the .zip version of HACS. Once you have Filebrowser access to the config folder, you can unpack the HACS zip file and upload it to the custom_components folder.

1 Like

Is the bootloader on the Zigbee chip in this locked up requiring signed firmware (similar to ZBBridge etc)

Also see the somewhat related question here → Integration for Zigbee-access on Sonoff iHost

It is a good question but if it requires a signed firmware image to update the Silicon Labs EFR32MG21 SoC (Zigbee/Thread radio chip) then I assume that ITead/Sonoff are probably using the same chip model, pins mapping, and the very same signature as they used for Sonoff ZBBridge and ZB-GW03 (Eachen eWeLink ZbBridge Pro Ethernet Zigbee Gateway), as they would at least be able to use the exact same signed EmberZNet Zigbee NCP firmware image available from xsp1989 and Tasmota. Regardless I would believe that I can presume that ITead today currently ships Sonoff iHost with EmberZNet 6.10.3 based Zigbee NCP firmware image by default, and if so the Zigbee can probably be tested as-is without modification as long as hack the iHost operating-system for serial access to the Zigbee SoC (or ITead/Sonoff opens up serial access to the Zigbee SoC), or what do you think?

Yes I would expect that xsp1989 signed firmwares will probably work, if the bootloader is not locked then zb-gw04 firmwares including multi-pan should work. Anything based on the SM011 reference designs likely has the same pinouts.

I wouldnt expect so, more likely to be a v8 firmware such as 6.7.x.

If anyone is able to gain access to the serial port, I would be interested to see a probe of bootloader and firmware versions.

I not real interested in iHost OS myself, wondering how feasible it will be to get HAOS running though.

Yeah, same here, and “Dusun DSGW-210-HA” hardware also looks interesting for Home Assistant OS → Dusun "DSGW-210-HA" Zigbee, Thread, Z-Wave, and BLE gateway appliance pre-installed with Home Assistant?

Firefly have a Debian 10 image that will likely work with the iHost. Not sure how well HA supervised would work with that older Debian though?

https://en.t-firefly.com/doc/download/88.html

1 Like

These only support Debian + Supervised currently, porting HAOS would likely be similar effort to the iHost.

After I upgraded to the latest version of ihost’s software, I found that USB worked. I connected Sonoff zigbee dongle-E to the USB port and chose to mount it when running HA’s docker, and now I can successfully add various zigbee devices in HA using ZHA!

1 Like

This is a debian image leaked from the official, open SSH, the image is loaded with many tools and software :

More information about the content of this image :

If this is a full linux, then a standalone installation of the home assistant on it should be feasible?

I don’t want to overwrite the native system software just yet - I don’t want to brick it up, so I’m still trying to install HA on docker, and I’m glad that the latest version of the software already supports Docker for mounting USB devices. Therefore, through dongle, I can normally use Zigbee2Mqtt or ZHA to access various zigbee devices

1 Like