Sonoff: LAN Mode VS Tasmota

Hello,
I was reading the different options to integrate Sonoff (mini in my case) with HA and I saw that there are two options:

1. To use the Tasmota Firmware
  2. Use the LAN Mode from @mattsaxon (here)

Can someone tell me what are the prons and cons for each solution? LAN mode seems easier but Im not sure about the limitations. For example, Are both methods responding at the same speed? Are changes in the HW switch reflected in HA inmediatelly with both solutions? etc…

If someone can give me more details based on their experience I would apreciate it!

Thank you!

Status is reflected in HA immediately with
My component. I can’t attest to speed differences in practice, but both work on the local LAN so I’d expect them to be similar speed.

Major difference as far as I’m concerned is effort to flash firmware vs maturity (my component is newer)

The reason i developed the component was because of the growing complexity of flashing even though I have the skills to do it.

With the mini, I’m not sure the reasons I was driven to do it are the same. The mini supports LAN mode officially (without an API key), but also I believe supports 3rd party firmware without soldering.

My suggestion would be to try my component and if it doesn’t work for you, then go the Tasmota route.

However I’d be happy to look at any issues you experience… I also have a mini coming in the post so I will definitely get it working even if it doesn’t now (pretty sure it does as others have used it i believe and it has same firmware as the Sonoff DIY which I did have untiil recently)

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to reply to the OP. I have a couple of Sonoff Basics I bought around this time last yer. I never really got around to setting up the hardware and software needed to flash them, so I sort of moved on to other things. It’s not that I lack the skills, it’s the effort to set it all up for a one-shot effort that I might never do again.

So, how would I know if my year-old Sonoff Basics have the “right” firmware installed? I assume there’s some way to update, but I’m back to how much effort I’d want to put in, loading apps and setting up accounts.

Set the components up in the mobile all, eWeLink. That will give you option to upgrade firmware.

One complexity is getting the api
Key. For you there are quite some options as with the older firmware most options are open.

The link on my page tells the story… not perfectly I grant you as there are so many permutations.

Basically it is best to get the api key before you upgrade and whilst doing initiate pairing to the app.

2 Likes

I have a Sonoff MINI DIY
How can I setup the Wifi SSID and Password when using the DIY mode? (jumper on)

I can’t manage to get the API_KEY when using the eWeLink Mode so I’m trying to use the DIY Mode but I don’t know how to set up the Wifi on the SonOff

If you put the jumper on, you must provide a WiFi access point with a specific ssid and password that the mini connects to (see the diy documentation) Then with the diy tool you can change the access point or flash tasmota.

See here for ssid and password

Ok. I managed to get the api_key
This is how I did it:

What is required: A router with DD-WRT on it.

Instructions step by step:

1. Connect to the router with ssh or telnet from your PC
  2. Connect your mobile to the WRT router SSID
  3. Execute this command in the WRT router: “tcpdump -s 0 -vvv -i eth1 -w outputfile”
  4. Register the sonoff MINI in the eWeLink App
  5. Stop the tcpdump (Ctrl-C)
  6. Excute the command “grep apikey outputfile” in the router
  7. You will get the apikey like this:
    {“type”:1,“deviceid”:“1000acb173”,“apikey”:"1aadc123-ea47-4cb5-97ad-46acdfbb2411",“rptInfo”:{“code”:3100,“arg”:"{“rstReason”:0}"},“sequence”:“0845895318697”}^/G

I hope it helps!

Update: @mattsaxon, It works like a charm!!! Congratulations and Thank you for this great contribution.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll use your instruction in the docs!