Sonoff Nsp Panel Or Tablet?

Hi,

Looking for some thoughts or advice on the Sonoff Nsp panel.

I currently have a fire tablet but I’m redecorating and don’t want the ugly setup that a tablet brings. (For amaeturs like me)

So, is the Sonoff Nsp any good or is there an alternative that also fits on a UK socket box?

I just need it to control lights through the house, set and disarm the alarm, maybe even control my Trvs (hive heating)

Thanks in advance.

NSPanel’s LCD is way smaller than any tablet. But, if you’re ok with that then second thing is that you’ll have to learn to program it, unless you’re ok with using blackymas’s blueprint. It has tons of options, so controlling lights, climate, alarm…isn’t a problem, also setting up is a breeze (comparing with manual programming).

NSPanel is a bit slow, but that doesn’t bother too much in regular use.
So, i’d say if “a big panel” doesn’t look good for you then NSPanel is the way to go, sure. 7 inch tablet can be installed on the wall quite nicely, though, and if offers quite more options for later use. It does help if you have a 3D printer though (or know someone who has it), since you can make a nice custom frame for it. If you’re redecorating i guess making somewhat bigger hole in the wall for 5V adapter isn’t too hard (unless it’s not your apartment).

Which panel are you referring to? There are two.
There is one without buttons, which runs Android and with buttons that doesn’t.

I have both, and both have been dumped and we are back on Tablets.
The one with buttons worked quite well, using the very mature Blueprint already mentioned. It didn’t require some work to get it so the custom OS could be overwritten, so it depends if you are comfortable doing that ( or by one already modified). The advantage of that device was that the buttons could be used for other things, not what was physically wired in.

The Android one didn’t last long at all. Because it went in where there was a switch and it got annoying having to press the screen to turn on the light. It was in a place where automatic lights using a motion sensor wasn’t appropriate. So it was replaced by a Shelly.

Now we just have tablets in some simple mounts. A lot flexibility to control stuff which cannot be controlled automatically.

I tried the NSPanel and was disappointed with the performance and how much it had to be hacked to work, I ended up returning it and just going with tablets.

1 Like

Yeah, as i said above it’s kinda slow, yes. I’d wouldn’t choose it for “main HA screen” in any room, but rather as a light switch with a side function of showing some more stuff (like room temperature, climate setting…). It’s not that bad to returnit, though, if you ask me… it IS usable. But, i’m testing Guition lcd now, which is faster and cheaper (30€ s 70). It doesn’t have physical buttons, though, it also lacks onboard speaker. But for 30€ it seems a real bargain.

Tablets are way more flexible, and, as said, they can be nicely integrated into a wall with the help of 3D printer, or with some precision wood work if 3Dp is not available.

The original napanel is still great IMO. Yeah, the screen isn’t great but due to all the work by Blakadder it just works. Some noticable lag from time to time but the same is true for openHASP. That’s another solution but requires way more work to get the desired results. Him adding a blueprint to make setup simple was pretty ingenious because outside the initial flashing process (if your not comfortable with doing it he still sells ones flashed and ready to use out of the box) setup is a breeze.

They also have that newer firmware which allows setup to be done from a docker container to control multiple nspanels. Sonoff still sells them, 40 to 50.US off AliExpress. Just make sure it’s the ESP32 version, not Android. Outside openHASP a tablet will be the easiest and probably cheapest overall solution as a decent Android tablet isn’t much these days.

Thanks. Think I’m looking for more of an out of the box solution. Looks good though.

I was thinking the one with buttons, that said I think I’ll stick with tablets.

Any idea of an in wall mount for a fire 7?

I hate having the wire on show.