Sonoff NSPanel by ITead - Smart Scene Wall Switch based on ESP32 and custom Nextion Touch Screen Panel Display (non-Pro variant)

Sounds great. I will purchase one end of month :slight_smile: One question. I think the Climate part will of course also be MQTT as I need this for my setup.I have a dumb AC which I control with a Xiaomi IR blaster . For the moment I have a custom flashed Controller Which also communicates with MQTT ā€¦

Do you think it will be possible to show camera stream or at least a snapshot on the display?

quite impossible with the default theme

Itā€™s not video screen in it, Itead display uses some layouts for fixed design and you canā€™t integrate video play into it :frowning:

1 Like

This maybe a silly question, and Iā€™msorry if it is.

Isnā€™t this just a Nextion display in there? Is there no way you can use the Nextion editor to create custom screen and then access those? Obviously way outside the scope of Tasmota, but if Tasmota can give you the frame work to intetact with the panel and you may be able to change the screens it opens up way more scope to play with it.

It should be possible. In esphome there is even a method to flash a new firmware on a nextion display. The problem at the moment is, that esphome will not connect to nextion displays that are in reparse mode.

I have not got my hands on a NSPanel yet, but I definitely plan to customize the display firmware and use it with esphome as soon as it arrives.

I will update here when I get it working.

Itead = Nextion :wink: You are supposed to be able to use Nextion Editor to design your layout and then upload in screen (is possible with Tasmosta, not yet possible as far as I know with ESPhome) and then ESPHome interacts with panel to refresh display, switch pages, etcā€¦ Have to play a little with NSPanel I have in hand to confirm you !

1 Like

FYI @jesserockz (who funded ESPHome) got his hands on a Sonoff NSPlanel and is posting process:

https://twitter.com/Jesserockz/status/1457415401743126530

Jesse also submitted a draft for initial experimental ESPHome support to control ITeadā€™s default UI:

https://github.com/esphome/esphome/pull/2702

Awesome stuff! Will be keeping an eye on his progress on both Twitter and that PR for sure!

1 Like

Hi,

This Sonoff NS Panel seems awesome, although there seems to be some issues, especially with the feeling/feedback and size of the buttons.
I would have done it differently even though I understand that Sonoff wanted it to be squared 86x86mm (EU version) as regular switches.
I would have made those modifications like on this picture I have modified on paint :grinning:

A. I would have chosen bigger buttons (40x32mm at least) and without borders, only to make them more easily accessible. The original buttons look like buttons of a laptopā€™s touch pad, they are too tiny.
Quality switches with real feedback would be nice.

B. I would have used a cheap LED to indicate the state of the relay instead of using precious surface on the screen. The behavior of the LEDs should be adjustable over software of course.

And as said in some reviews, a distance or even a gesture sensor would be nice too.
I hope there will be an improved version in a year from Sonoff.

I would have made a 3D print of NĀ°3 and used the screen and electronics of the original NS Panel, but I canā€™t spend money right now.

1 Like

Who got one and installed ESPhome? I mean this code: Create initial NSPanel component by jesserockz Ā· Pull Request #2702 Ā· esphome/esphome Ā· GitHub

Not tested yet here as it implies to move on ESPHome beta (which in the past made some mess with my other sketches :wink:

No beta anymore! Just use external_components: as described in the PR (see the example code provided). It will download the code and compile the firmware.

1 Like

Just received my NSPanel and flashed it with the custom firmware from @blakadder - super simple process! - but now Iā€™m at a loss how to update the buttons and sensors on it :face_with_hand_over_mouth: - is there a simple guide somewhere that I can use? - I was looking through Blakadderā€™s Github, but I really donā€™t know where to start!

Cheers
Leacho

Doesnā€™t it create automatically some sensors/variables in HA when you link it ?

Thanks @vincen - Iā€™m thinking more about the initial configuration - including setting the button actions etc.

Should be the same :wink: you should get some switch circuits created for that in HA once linked with it, same for the two relays, temperature sensorā€¦ After all config has to be done in HA for automations/actions/management of display !

Ah ok, Iā€™ll take a look now - hopefully once Iā€™ve added it in, it will make more sense :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

out of curiosity, are you a backer of kickstarter or did you receive in another way? I cannot wait to get my hands on this beauty :wink:

Just ordered it straight from Sonoff :slight_smile: - delivered last week.

1 Like

So Iā€™ve got it added into Home Assistant - but I canā€™t see any way to update the screens from Home Assistant itself - I can see from Blakadderā€™s pages that you can fire commands at it - but they look like JSON rather than MQTT