Sonoff with HA without soldering by OTA - Wifi using SonOTA

Yes, no wires needed. You only need a computer with python (like a raspberry pi or I used a mac) and wifi. You press the button on the sonoff to get it to create a wifi access point called ITEAD and then the python program changes the firmware.

1 Like

That is an awesome idea, definitely going to try it!

thanks! and wow nice!

Thatā€™s awesome! I didnā€™t know you could flash them OTA. Iā€™ve still got a few I havenā€™t flashed. I might have to try that just for kicks.

Are you on latest firmware from sonoff?

Looks like you might have an update video to make! Love your vids, BTW.

1 Like

This is my info page from my sonoff device webpage after I used SonOTA in case this help anyone.

Sonoff RF Module

Basement_Hall_Light

Program Version 5.9.1
Build Date & Time 2017-11-13T21:43:41
Core/SDK Version 2_3_0/1.5.3(aec24ac9)
Uptime 52 Hours
Flash write Count 336 at F4000
Boot Count 19
Restart Reason Software/System restart
Friendly Name 1 Basement_Hall_Light

AP2 SSId (RSSI) xxxx
Hostname basement_light-3959
IP Address 192.168.xxx.xxx
Gateway 192.168.x.x
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DNS Server 8.8.8.8
MAC Address xxx

MQTT Host 192.168.xxx.xxx
MQTT Port 1883
MQTT Client &
Fallback Topic DVES_57EF77
MQTT User DVES_USER
MQTT Topic basement_light
MQTT Group Topic sonoffs
MQTT Full Topic cmnd/basement_light/

Emulation None
mDNS Discovery Enabled
mDNS Advertise Web Server

ESP Chip Id 5762935
Flash Chip Id 1327198
Flash Size 1024kB
Program Flash Size 1024kB
Program Size 471kB
Free Program Space 532kB
Free Memory 23kB

1 Like

For sure.
Thanks!

If you could try it, video it and post it before tomorrow when mine arrive that would be awesome!

Donā€™t worry, just wishful thinking :grin:

Liking your vids but do find it slightly worrying how bad American electric standards always look.

1 Like

After trying about 50 times without success and stuck at waiting for the final stage ssid to show up, I decide to try from another machine. I got one step futher but not finalized. I was able to see the final stage ssid, can connect to it but seem to get stuck at that stage. It never disappear. I will try a 3rd if it still not working, usb tfdi.

you do not need to open the SOnoff correct?

I just flashed four in about 10 minutes using a wire. This seems like more work. :stuck_out_tongue:

Will the POW be able to check consumption?

It appear so

• Add more precision to Sonoff Pow period and power results using command WattRes 0|1 (#759)
3 Likes

Sorry that it didnā€™t work for you. I didnā€™t have a USB fdic adapter so I looked for a wifi solution. For me, it worked the first time and it took less than a 1 minute till I could see the sonoff toggle the relay from a webpage.

I should have noted that there is this warning

This is beta software, and it may not work 100% of the time, and require to manually flash your device using serial.

Iā€™ll have to call in sick to workā€¦ totally worth it.

I have to admit, I havenā€™t consulted the electrical building code during my home-hacking. Iā€™ve only seen sparks a couple times.

I had to add those flexible wires like you did so I could fit the sonoff. I made sure the wire gauge was sufficient to carry the load of the lights etc. It appear you used a fairly thick gauge, the short distance also helps. Worse case, the wire melts and acts as a fuse and this is the primary reason to keep it all in the light switch box.

I noted the sonoff was rated to 10A so it more likely the wires in the sonoff will melt before the flexible wires.

Donā€™t worry, I wasnā€™t commenting on your house in particular, all vids that show US electrics seem to be much the same. Oddly European standards donā€™t seem a lot better but youā€™d assume there be the most strict whereas it appears us Brits are the most bothered.

Iā€™ve just watched your first flashing video and have to say itā€™s the first Iā€™ve seen where I feel Iā€™d know exactly what Iā€™d be doing and 100% expect it to work first time rather than the usual overly techy, no idea what theyā€™re talking about, guaranteed to fail, move on and look for something else.

This OTA method seems far more complicated now so if you can perform the same magic with it as the other youā€™d have a winner.

I gave it another try tonight and ā€¦ It finally worked and completed successfully !!! Time for some automation !

1 Like

Am i missing a step in the instructions that tells you what the password to the ITEAD-* network is?

EDIT- itā€™s 12345678 ā€¦should have hit google up first!