Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 with HA OS

I’m moving my HA from a VirtualBox (on a shared PC) to a dedicated mini PC running HAOS. I’ve simply flashed the Generic x86 image to the hard disk.

I’ve hit a snag with my Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 Dongle. With the VirtualBox it was recognised as soon as I plugged it in, with the new setup it isn’t. What do I do?

Check Supervisor → Hardware if the dongle is available (preferable) at /dev/serial/by-id

1 Like

Nothing to see under Hardware apart from the hard drive (/dev/disk/by-id/ata-KINGSTON_SV300S37A120G_50026B774C0BCBD6).

Do I need a driver?

Sorry, was just a quick suggestion. Personally I don’t use HA OS, but I don’t think that you need a dedicated driver.

It could be this:

But another poster said that it has been fixed in a subsequent release. Worth a try though.

You do not need to install a device driver when using Home Assistant Operating System on barebone.

https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/os/

If using other OS/image then you might need to first install the right drivers and reboot before plug it in.

Sonoff ZBDongle-E needs CH9102/CH343 device drivers from WCH, while if you have Sonoff ZBDongle-P then it instead needs CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers from Silicon Labs.

Read in another thread that someone has problems with their computer enclosure not allowing them to physically plug the USB adapter all the way in and as such USB connector didn’t make proper contact.

The workaround was to use a USB extension cable that has a longer USB port so properly plugged in.

Alternative was to modify the computer enclosure removing casing around the USB port to make it fit.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/iteads-sonoff-zigbee-3-0-usb-dongle-plus-based-on-texas-instruments-cc2652p-20dbm-radio-mcu-now-sold-for-14-99/340705/

None of the suggestions above helped. I am running HA OS bare bones on a Lenovo ThinkCentre. Previously I was running HA on the same box under ProxMox but thought it was giving me problems. The hardware (and Proxmox) saw and enabled the Sonoff Zigbee dongle just fine. With HAOS alone, not so lucky. Has anyone really solved the problem? If so please reply, otherwise it’s back to Proxmox. Thanks.

Have you tried using a USB extension cable or better yet a USB hub?

Again, ITead’s Sonoff Zigbee dongle(s) have a very short USB plug and have been known to be too short for some computer chassis which have partially recessed/sunken USB ports, meaning that the short USB plug of ITead’s Sonoff Zigbee dongle will not actually make a physical connection with all of the pins that it needs for USB communication.

You can also check the computer BIOS/UEFI if the USB ports are enabled and if they see any devices.

If it does not work then check if can upgrade the firmware via a other computer just to test if the dongle hardware is seen by an other computer or if it that specific dongle hardware that you have is broken.

If using a other computer then you might need to first install right drivers and reboot before plug it in.

Sonoff ZBDongle-E needs CH9102/CH343 device drivers from WCH, while if you have Sonoff ZBDongle-P then it instead needs CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers from Silicon Labs.

Again, if have installed official Home Assistant Operating System then it should have drivers needed.