Sonoff Zigbee USB setup question- zigbee2mqtt

Try adding:

advanced:
  rtscts: false

To the end of the the z2m config.

This I found that in this thread:

I don’t have much more to add. I’m running on an x86 (Mele Quieter 3 fanless). My Sonoff is new and flashed with latest firmware. I just plugged it in and it worked. I use the /dev/serial/by-id/... form for port number.

Another thought is trying ZHA but only to see if it can connect. For me I see that ZHA auto detects my stick and tells me the port its on (which is the same port I’m using for Z2M). BTW, both ZHA and z2m work for me.

You could try “reset configuration” then add the serial port info again.

Has the Sonoff worked ever? Could it be a bad stick?

EDIT: another thought is to try different USB ports. Sometimes the port makes a difference.

And if all of the above would not help, you might have to consider the possibility that your sonoff stick being faulty.

Yes. I rolled back to a snapshot before installing Zigbee2Mqtt, plugged in the dongle and paired with a light in just a few minutes. Dongle works just fine.

Can ZHA and Zigbee2Mqtt cohabitate in Home Assistant, or are they mutually exclusive?

I’ve never tried both integrations at the same time. What I’ve read is that it can be done but requires two coordinators, one for each integration.

I’m not clear. How did rolling back work for you? Was it on zha? I guess I’m really trying to understand what was working and what’s different now.

No. I think I said that before

Thanks everyone. Your assistance is appreciated,
My main purpose of getting Zigbee working was to connect an Aqara cube, and I will try using the ZHA blueprint by @ rvaidya.

I will likely tackle Zigbee2Mqtt at a future date.

You can have both installed and operational, but each needs a separate adapter with it’s own separate zigbee net - ZHA won’t see devices paired to the Z2M coordinator, likewise Z2M won’t see devices paired to the ZHA coordinator. It’s generally considered best to develop a single robust zigbee mesh.

Having both allowed me to migrate from ZHA to Z2M at my leisure instead of being a hurry up and do it all at once migration.

I still keep both up and running though - Sonoff coordinators are inexpensive enough to leave ZHA running for testing/comparison purposes. I like Z2M best right now, but who knows what the next update may bring?

BUT…

This raises the question, did you disable ZHA before starting down the Z2M path? If ZHA grabs the port first, Z2M won’t be able to start. Apologies if already answered, I only skimmed the thread.

1 Like

You may have stumbled on my solution. I did not realize until after I rolled back my snapshot that configuring the dongle enabled ZHA.

So, I can disable this integration and install the zigbee2mqtt add-on?

disable zha

Yes. And you absolutely have to, if there is only one sonoff stick.
This is very likely why z2m cannot find the dongle - because ZHA owns the path to the sonoff dongle already.

This is also why people said you can have ZHA and Z2M cohabitate in the same HA - as long as you have two dedicated dongles, one for ZHA and one for z2m.

Zigbee2mqtt is working now.
Everyone’s assistance is appreciated, and I did learn some things along the way.

2 Likes