SonoffLED-HomeAssistant (Altenative firmware for Sonoff LED Strip using the MQTT Light Component)

LOL I’m a little more of butcher. I would just chop the things off, clean the joints and solder them together. Seems like a lot of work and time to wait for connectors especially if you need to go shorter, rather than longer, unless you need to unplug and plug them in often.

:smiley:

That indeed may be the way I go.

Still working on the physical design of the fitting, this is for my kitchen so has to pass the WAF test.

Sorry to bug you again, but how hot does the sonoff control unit get? I am hoping to be able to put it in the wall cavity.

Oops I edited this after I realised this was for the LED not Sonoff switches hahahah. It does get a little warm depending on how bright you run it. I think it should be no issue in a cavity though.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Ordered some aluminium extrusions today. Will report back on final product.

I’m keen to see the result. Been busy with other stuff but I am still interested in developing something with them.

Thanks works great. :smile:

Hopefully, this isn’t too dumb of a question as I am new to the Arduino platform.

What version of Arduino are you using to flash that light strip? This would be my first Arduino project.

I would like to just order it off of Amazon or eBay if possible.

Thanks

Ryno

You don’t actually need an Arduino to flash the light strip. You only need the Arduino IDE (Software) and a FTDI adapter and cable to plug into the header.

and

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40pcs-20cm-Jumper-Wire-Cable-For-Arduino-Breadboard-Prototyping-Female-to-Female-/252324355458?hash=item3abfb41d82:g:p08AAOSwiDFYRR2A

You need to connect the adaptor to the header on the LED controller like this. Make sure the adapter is set to 3.3V with the onboard jumper otherwise you will blow the controller if you try and program with 5V.

CABLE/FTDI ADAPTER         SONOFF

VCC                        VCC
TX                         RX
RX                         TX
GND                        GND

You need to set the parameters on the IDE like this and change the port to the correct COM port that the FTDI adapter is connected to COM4, COM5 etc.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Just saw this won’t work with US 120v outlets easily. :frowning:

That’s correct :frowning:

Well, you still have a great writeup. Neat little project you have there.

1 Like

Hi KmanOz,

Hi i m using your software and very happy.
I m trying to use “homebridge” with mqtt but having problems to get mqtt working.
using the topic homenet/sonoff_led/living_room sending On and Off but it don’t work.
Any suggestion ?
Thanks

I use Homebridge everyday with the LED. Can you give me an example of what is / is not happening?

I want to control just the LED on/off from Homebridge . Don’t want to use npm homebridge-homeassistant .
Thanks

i’m wondering if your firmware do not work with the newer wifi LED strips. I downloaded the firmware OK, and confirm with home assistant and the arduino serial monitor that I have a good connection, But the lights completely fail to do anything. It’s possible I have a dud device I guess. Posting picture of my device. It has an additional capacitor next to the reset switch on the ES8266.

forget this. looks like you can connect the lights strips the wrong way round, which I did. Once I checked the voltage on the output pins, the error became apparent.

Yeah there’s an arrow on the strips. Effectively they’re all connected in series so you need to make sure the arrow points the same way :smiley: