SONOS doorbell sound trough local mp3 file. Script + automation done but still not working

There seems to be an issue with using local media now through Sonos. There is another thread somewhere on it, I don’t have the link to hand sorry.

I got around this by using my NAS as a media server connected to Sonos, put my local files in there, and then added them to the Sonos app. Lastly created a playlist and then added just the file to that playlist. I then call the playlist instead of the file direct.

Small delay and a bit of a pain, but works.

sonos_doorbell:
  alias: "Sonos doorbell script"
  sequence:
   - service: sonos.snapshot
     data:
       entity_id: media_player.lounge_room_sonos
   - service: sonos.unjoin
     data:
   - service: media_player.volume_set
     data:
       volume_level: 0.5
   - service: media_player.play_media
     data:
       media_content_id: Doorbell
       media_content_type: playlist
   - delay: 00:00:08
   - service: sonos.restore
     data:

Much appreciated

Never mind, my mistake was that I did not added a delay after the chime play… Problem solved.

I think I’m having a similar problem with Sonos not being able to play an mp3 from my HomeAssistant media library. Did you find a solution?

No, just got back to it today.

Seems that most people suggest setting up the sounds you want to play in a SONOS playlist through SONOS app and then playing then from HA. There must be a better way.

To be honest I have even lost the basic sounds, such as a door opening, that I had playing on Google Home speakers.

I can see the files in Media Browser and I can even play them from there on the Googel speakers, not the SONOS.

I’ve commented out the Configuration setting to allow then to default.

I’ve create a test script, but I can’t hear anything when I play the script.

media_test:
  alias: Media Test
  sequence:
    target:
      entity_id: media_player.office
    data:
      media_content_type: wav
      media_content_id: media/Ping_2.wav
  mode: single

I’ve tried lots of different value for media_content_id, but none make a sound, even though I don’t get an error.

Any suggestions? I presume the issue is the media_content_id, but I really cannot work out what value to use. Once I have this working I will go back to SONOS.

Made a little bit of progress using the Sonos app for OSX. I was able to create a Sonos media library and upload my mp3 file to the Sonos media library. I can now see the Sonos Media library when I select a Sonos speaker from the Home Assistant media library by clicking “Choose Player” in the upper right hand corner. Still can’t figure out how to select that file as a source when trying to build an automation though.

1 Like

This is how I solved my Doorbell Issue and it works fine.

alias: Klingel
description: ''
trigger:
  - device_id: 7f20e9523ce98b27ea733c0dbffe2b86
    domain: zha
    platform: device
    type: remote_button_short_press
    subtype: remote_button_short_press
condition: []
action:
  - service: media_player.volume_set
    target:
      entity_id:
        - media_player.airplay_58d3491a6b85
        - media_player.airplay_f434f021772f
        - media_player.airplay_f434f03017e5
        - media_player.airplay_f434f0662f81
        - media_player.hauptschlafzimmer
        - media_player.wohnzimmer
    data:
      volume_level: 0.55
    target:
      entity_id:
        - media_player.airplay_58d3491a6b85
        - media_player.airplay_f434f021772f
        - media_player.airplay_f434f03017e5
        - media_player.airplay_f434f0662f81
        - media_player.hauptschlafzimmer
        - media_player.wohnzimmer
    data:
      media_content_type: music
      media_content_id: http://homeassistant.fritz.box:8123/local/doorbell.mp3
  - service: notify.apple_devices
    data:
mode: single

The Sound file is in my /www Folder. The Mediaplayers Hauptschlafzimmer/Wohnzimmer are the Sonos Players. The other Media Players are HomePod minis.

I am pretty sure it would also be possible to put the mp3 file in the media folder but never tried this due to no reason.

@magicbenny how are you uploading your files. If I attempt to use either the Media Management or the File Editor the uploads fail because the files are too large. Is there some place to increase the upload file size.

@magicbenny actually I have discovered a few issues to work through with uploading and using files with the Media Management. When using the Nginx SSL Proxy add-on there is a file size issue not present when using the standard HTTP access and port. I need to track down or open up an issue for the add-on in this regard.

Hi Guys,

Before I get into this and give it a try, I’m running the latest version of HA on a Rpi4b with 120gb HD.

In this version of HA, there is already a media folder.

Do I use this folder for my door sounds or do I still have to create a ‘www’ folder?

Darren.

@Dizzwold I am successfully using the Local Media folder. The only problem I’ve run into with it is uploading files when using the Nginx HA SSL Proxy. If I connect to my HA without going through the SSL proxy I can upload the sound files no problem to the Local Media folder. I haven’t had a chance to dig in farther with the Nginx Proxy to find a solution. Here is an example of what I have in my alarm script.

service: media_player.play_media
data:
  media_content_id: /media/local/mixkit-facility-alarm-sound-999.wav
  media_content_type: audio/wav
  enqueue: play
target:
  device_id: xxxxxxxx

Wanted to let you know this solved my issue, working fine now. The content_type should be music to play a local mp3 file hosted by HA self.