Spotify in combination with chromecast

Seems to be really a chromecast thing then.
your script nicely works for me just listening to System of a Down now :wink:
I read in another posting that someone had trouble with his amplifier not showing up as well.
Sorry I can’t be of further help then.

Hi

Did you solve that you can see your chromecast?

I can only see my PC and it is the same in Spotify.

Thanks

Hey!

Nope; couldnt find a way to fix this. As others stated i can play to my phone/PC but not my chromecasts…
Real big bummer to me and i hope someone knows how to fix this or have a workaround.

The problem is, at least from what i have been able to figure out, that the spotify player (connect implementation) in Home Assistant can’t “see” chromecast’s or Google Home’s unless you are already playing spotify from another source (say a android phone) on one of them.
This behavior is from what i can tell identical to the Spotify app on Windows.

So you can try to to run your script while you are playing music from spotify on your chrome cast and it should work. But if you ain’t the script will do nothing at all.

All in all; I think this is a problem from Spotify’s part and not Home Assistant

I can confirm that it does work when you are already playing on that particualr chromecast; then it is able to change playlists etc.

Is there anyway to fix this?

I had the same problem, it seems like the sourse selection is ignored completly, however there seem to be a possible fix coming with the next update.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/spotify-ignoring-source

However I fear that the problem is more related to spotify connect, being a bit too dynamic, then the spotify component.

I don’t think this solves it sadly :confused:

Why dont you think this will solve it?

Any other hopes or solutions?

In short, if I understand this compnent correctly, it isn’t connected directly to Spotify, but rather tells a spotifyclient on a computer or phone what to do.

That spotify client provides a list of available devices to cast to and that list is the problem. Spotify only give home assistant access to the devices that are currently available, if thchromecast is turned of or connected to something else, it’s no longer available for home assistant.

Spotify has to solve this first as far as I can understand…

I don’t think that the component is interacting with spotify connect correctly. It simply deletes available sources at random when switching it seems.

I would recommend to try and play around with something like mobidy as an alternative. It seems a bit more complicated, but as far as I have understood it acts more like a dedicated player - nullefying the whole spotify connect debuggel. I will give it a try in the near future myself :slight_smile:

The component asks Spotify for a list of valid sources (devices) at a regular interval. It shows everything that Spotify says is available.

Thanks, just stumbled upon this and it made me understand how to select the source of a Spotify Connect device :slight_smile:

Your selection of a “random” playlist is also cool!

Interesting information!

It is working with my Phone and desktop when i leave the Spotify app/program on for a period of time.
Unfortunatly this isnt the case for my chromecasts. Hope there will be a way to solve this!

Hi,

When researching a possible solution, I stumbled upon this;

http://mkchromecast.com/

My thoughts are if we can install Spotify on a Pi we won’t be dependent on a computer or phone.
My knowledge of Raspbian and or linux are limited so I’m asking if you think this is feasible?

1 Like

Pretty interesting but it doesn’t look like there is an arm version, right?

I’ve found this on a dutch site, https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/ From what I understand it enables you to run almost any linux app on a Pi.

Not to beat a dead horse - more than I have already done - but it is simply not true that the spotify component sees what spotify sees in terms of devices. It sees some of the devices and for a limited period of time. This makes the component useless in effect, and nobody seems interested in hearing about it.

@JoramH Here you go.

I would recommend to try and play around with something like mobidy as an alternative. It seems a bit more complicated, but as far as I have understood it acts more like a dedicated player - nullefying the whole spotify connect debuggel. I will give it a try in the near future myself :slight_smile:

Haven’t have time to try it myself yet.

Thanks @GigabitGuy for your input, I guess I’ll have to try Mopidy. Seems like a fun quiet sunday project.

I don’t want to dredge up an old thread but I doubt it’s possible to fix this without having some sort of hook into the Chromecast (a local phone/tablet) reason being is that they are competing standards! (Connect and cast) cast is built as a “2nd screen” whereas connect is more of a streaming client…

…that being said, I have just set up the Spotify component and will investigate (2 casts vs. 1 dot, I need the casts to work!)