SSD data migration, datadisk move /dev/xxx fails

Hi everyone,
I have a rpi 4 running hassio and I’m moving the data from the micro sd to ssd. I leave the boot on the micro sd as suggested by developers. Once I plug in the ssd and make the command:

# ha os datadisk move /dev/sda

(where sda is the name of the ssd) the following error appears:

Post “http://supervisor/os/datadisk/move”: context deadline exceeded (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headres).

After that putty reports a closed network connection and rpi stops, server goes down and I need to restart it manually power it off directly from the plug (which is absolutely not cool and could damage rpi 4 but… it’s the only way).
HA restarts and server starts again normally, data are still in the micro sd. Anyone knows what happens?
Thanks!

I have the exact same issue but I don’t have to reboot but HA reboots automatically.
I have tried from the UI also - no go.
I have a 32GB HA Blue with a 128GB USB thumb drive in a USB slot - aka /dev/sda
Any ideas what to do anyone - thanks!

Running HA on a Pi4, USB Boot on the SSD, and never experienced any issue. So I wonder why not just make a snapshot, install HA on your Pi4 with USB boot and restore the snapshot?
There are several topics, of which this one:

Edit: wrong url

This is not the official procedure. Developers suggest always to leave the boot on the micro sd. For now I leave the datas on the sd, hope it will be released soon an official integration to do such work.

I used an SD card and a 500GB SSD. I attempted to use the move data disk feature from the user interface after creating an EXT4 partition for the full volumen on my SSD. Like in your case it hangs and after 35min I need to manually reboot the rpi4, but the data is still on the SD card. I have a bit of hard time telling if it has worked but the OS drive still show only the available approx 24GB from the SD card and if I unplugg the SSD it still works as before. I suspect that there is some kind of software issue here since there is not that much that I as a user can do wrong. Any tips for resolution is apreciated.

HI @mickeljunge , did you find a solution here?
I’m trying to use the datadisk as well, but I have no idea how to check if that works or not

any suggestions?

If you click on the down arrow next to sda 1, you should see the following:

DEVLINKS: >-
  /dev/disk/by-id/usb-SABRENT_SABRENT_DB9876543214E-0:0-part1
  **/dev/disk/by-partlabel/hassos-data-external**
  /dev/disk/by-partuuid/1f854d1c-91df-499d-9cbd-46d9fce14153
  /dev/disk/by-path/platform-xhci-hcd.8.auto-usb-0:1.2:1.0-scsi-0:0:0:0-part1
DEVNAME: /dev/sda1
DEVPATH: >-
  /devices/platform/soc/soc:usb3-0/12000000.dwc3/xhci-hcd.8.auto/usb4/4-1/4-1.2/4-1.2:1.0/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sda/sda1

The third line shows that the system has set up the partition for home assistant data. You should also be able to observe the activity LED on the drive every time it is accessed.

1 Like

Same problem. I have been trying for several days and everything stops me every time. many times it disconnects from the network and every time I have to disconnect the power supply, insert a new sd and reload HA to restart … I tried to move the data disk with an HA installation without anything and as I go to load the snapshot it re-locks . I’m going crazy.

Are you sure that you have adequate power supply to run both the processor and the drive? That sounds like a power crash.

You should also see that mmcblk0p4 has been marked as hassos-data-old. This will not happen if the ssd is too small.

DEVNAME: /dev/mmcblk0p4
DEVPATH: >-
  /devices/platform/soc/12220000.mmc/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:aaaa/block/mmcblk0/mmcblk0p4
DEVTYPE: partition
ID_DRIVE_FLASH_SD: '1'
ID_DRIVE_MEDIA_FLASH_SD: '1'
ID_FS_LABEL: hassos-data-old
ID_FS_LABEL_ENC: hassos-data-old
ID_FS_TYPE: ext4
ID_FS_USAGE: filesystem

Hi everyone, sorry for my late reply, it’s been a long time I didn’t log in into the community. Since some months developers integrated the data migration to an external SSD. Procedure is really simple and I’d not have problems since I did so, check system —> host, click on the 3 dots and move data disk. Then select your external SSD and you got it. Hope it will help.

1 Like

I’m trying to move my datadisk to an external USB drive, but eventhough it is detected in HAOS as /dev/sdb, I can’t select it as a target.

1 Like

@genga91 - Was there ever a solution identified for this? I’m having the same problem when moving datadisk to my Seagate 5TB HDD.

HA becomes unreachable and I have to manually power cycle my Home Assistant Blue. After reboot, there are no signs of data being moved to HDD.

Hi,
I marked as solution in this post the official ssd move procedure which it has been implemented since the beginning of 2022. Strongly recommend that way, more easy so far.

Thank you!

Migrate from SD to SSD worked. But does anyone know how to migrate an existing SSD datadisk to another (fresh) HA OS installation? So: how do I configure HA to use a datadisk without overwriting the datadisk?

Do a backup on the old system and then do a restore to the new system.

Does that restore the data to the SSD on the new system even when I didn’t configure that to use an SSD? How does it know which SSD is to be used? Or should I first move the (almost empty) datadisk on the new system, and then restore?

It seems easier and less error prone if I can just configure HA on the Odroid to use the SSD and the data on it. Isn’t that possible?

Would you contribute to

? That backup/restore is question #3 there. If you have some practical experience meanwhile on this… feel free to share! Thank you :slight_smile: