SSH and studio code issues

I am running Home Assistant OS on a Raspberry Pi 4B.

I have addons Advanced SSH and Studio Code installed.

If I create a directory or file from SSH (Putty) or Studio Code terminal I cannot see it from the other application. Also any directory or file I create from either addon disappears when I reboot the system.

whoami command returns root from both addon terminals.

hostname returns abcd-ssh or abcd-vscode depending on which terminal I’m using.

What do I need to do to be able to see files between the two terminals and how do I make newly created directories/files permanent?

Wow. You should update. Hassio has not been available for well over three years. :slight_smile:

You are running Home Assistant OS. Or HAOS for short. Please don’t call it hassio, it confuses new users.

I am brand new to this platform. I just assumed from reading posts that hassio was the operating system. Since I installed from a CanaKit PI4 extreme and selected Home Assistant operating system can I assume I am running HAOS? Where would I look to see my operating system? I do not see anything under settings that pops out at me.

System → About

Where are you creating the directories or files?

This is what I see when I go to settings → system:

As far as creating the directories and files I have tried in / and /home. I have used Studio Code explorer to create them and also Studio Code Terminal with mkdir for the directory and touch to create a file in the directory. They are visible to me both in terminal (ls -l) and Studio Code explorer. However once I perform a system reboot the directories/files are no longer there.

What I am trying to do is install mochad to use with an X10 CM15A. I have found directions on how to do this but the initial tar file in the installation instructions has numerous compile errors. I found another post with an updated tar file which I downloaded to my laptop. I used the Advanced SSH addon to be able to SCP the file to the Pi4. I can see the file in the Advanced SSH terminal and in a Putty window from my laptop. I cannot see it from the Studio Code explorer nor can I see files created by Studio Code in the SSH window.

In either case any directories/files I created via Terminal or Studio Code disappear at reboot.

Sorry it’s on the top level of the menu, Settings → About.

I suspect you are likely running Home Assistant OS, you do not install other software on this operating system.

You can only extend it using addons and third party integrations.

Found it!

My ultimate goal is to incorporate all of my existing X10 lights and switches into Home Assistant.

I was following instructions to configure mochad for this purpose. When I encountered compile errors I found a new mochad tar file on sourceforge.net. I was trying to use that tar file for the setup.

In the interim we installed the Samba addon which allowed me to copy the new file onto the Raspberry Pi. Through this process I learned that there are only a few directories where I can create sub directories and folders. I used /share to create a sub folder and copied the new mochad tar file there.

I will now go back to the steps for mochad setup found here: X10 devices, CM15 Pro - Domoticz

That will not work.

As I said the only way to add functionality to HA OS is by using integrations and addons. Fortunately for you there is an integration for mochad. So do this instead:

Then restart home assistant.

You can then add the configuration for your lights and switches.

Then restart again.