SSL Proxy Server and Dynamic DNS (DDNS or DynDNS) services for remote access offered via Home Assistant Cloud?

Now that Home Assistant Cloud is a paid service there is at least one ‘basic’ cloud service feature I as a paying subscription customer had expected from it as a cloud service but I have not seen mentioned in your blog.

That is; for the Home Assistant Cloud service to also provide some type of (optional) SSL Proxy Server and Dynamic DNS (DDNS / DynDNS) services for remote access to each Home Assistant installation that paying subscribers can use.

A very user-friendly out-of-the-box solution for secure remote connection via Home Assistant Cloud to put it simply.

It should at a minimum provide SSL Proxy + DynDNS access for the Home Assistant web interface and the Home Assistant app on iOS/iPhone/iPad and Android, without users have to use third-party services like and Duck DNS with Let’s Encrypt or Tor Onion Service, and without users having to open firewall ports or set-up port-forwarding in their routers. IMHO, no matter how technical you are, Home Assistant Cloud subscribers should never have to deal with router configuration and certificates just to be able to remotely access their HASS installation from their smartphone, tablet, or computer.

I think that from the perspective end-users we should get a trivial ‘tick-box’ (option) configuration of this during activation of Home Assistant Cloud service in a HASS installation. Practically from my end-user point-of-view, I would also like it if I during activation of Home Assistant Cloud in the Home Assistant configuration in an easy way got to pick a location alias (name) for that HASS installation, and that I got to pick a unique alias for each of my HASS installations to get all of those aliases listed under my user in Home Assistant Cloud.

You would then hopefully like most other cloud services provide a login site via subdomain such as for example https://cloud.home-assistant.io

If you do this then please also provide users with their own user-page on that site, again like most other cloud services.

That way as an end-user you could also go directly to your user page, such as for example https://cloud.home-assistant.io/userid

Home Assistant Cloud should with that provide secure cloud login service (HTTPS/ SSL with valid certificate) and list all the alias for each of his/her installations and redirect the user when clicking on the alias of a HASS installation.

As such an end-user could in addition even go directly to a specific installation via its alias, such as for example https://cloud.home-assistant.io/userid/installation-alias

For the login service, I would also expect some basic hacker-proofing features such as maybe 15-minute timeout if fail login three times and maybe some type of challenge-response test like CAPTCHA/reCAPTCHA on next login.

Please note that as mentioned I request this as I have not need read anything about such SSL Proxy Server + DynDNS services or similar concept provided by Home Assistant Cloud in the introduction blog post or the website.

PS: Please do not reply to this if all you wish to say is that I could just use third-party services like and Duck DNS and/or Let’s Encrypt to achieve the same feature, that is not what I am asking for nor what I think that those should be discussed here. I am requesting that Home Assistant Cloud should provide an out-of-the-box solution for remote access.

Did you read this topic?

“Remote connection to your instance to control Home Assistant while being away. We will use end-to-end encryption to ensure that the cloud can’t read your data. Powered by Home Assistant Cloud so you just have to log in and it will work. This is the next feature to be worked on for the cloud.“

As an good example implementation I like to put forward to you look into how Plex ( plex.tv ) has solved the related features.

I did but I must have miss that part about remote connection, let’s up that the developers will post an update on that soon then.

What’s confusing to me is that this feature is being advertised as already present:

Keep Home Assistant secure

With Home Assistant Cloud you don’t have to deal with dynamic DNS, SSL certificates or opening ports on your router. Just log in via the user interface and a secure connection with the cloud will be established.

But I cannot discern if Nabu Casa is selling the roadmap, or it actually exists?

What they’re referring to is the Dynamic DNS, SSL certs, and opening ports that is required to link HA up to Amazon Alexa and Google Home.

This may have been added recently, but right below the text you quoted is a note about remote access:

We are actively working on a new feature to make your Home Assistant instance accessible remotely via an end-to-end encrypted connection.

Sidenote: I’m anxiously awaiting the remote access functionality… I hope it lands soon!

Exactly this is what I was expecting if home assistant cloud, besides Google home integration.
Sometimes I would need remote access to the frontend and I need a simple to setup solution for this. That would make the 5$ fee more with it!