Starting From Scratch - Worth it?

So, I’ve been using HA since 0.2x or something like that, and my configurations have been done multiple times over and with all the recent changes I have no idea where I am!

In used to use OZWCP to manage devices, then copy over the XML to HA, this is now done within HA it seems but I have quite a few Unknown Nodes, Dead ones that I can’t remove etc.

My main gripe is all my lighting is controlled by Fibaro Dimmer 2 modules, when I add one (got 10 more to add currently), I change the name right away but there are something like 8 entities for each module, and I have no way to know what sensor belongs to which module?

Can someone let me know 1) If there is an easy way to rename a whole device and all of its entities, or 2) if its worth starting from scratch, and if so how to wipe my whole Z-wave network and begin again!

Thanks in advance

Edit: I have an Aeonlabs Z-stick as a controller
Edit 2: There are what seems like 2 different lighting entities for Fibaro Dimmer modules but I’ve never figured out what they are, one has 1 supported features and the other 33, some devices only respond to one and others to the other, any advice appreciated

This is a hot button with many people right now. There is no easy way to do it. This whole thread has a bunch of information on it. How do I change the "node name"? - #4 by petro

If you do this, you shouldn’t need to do anything with the z stick. Just start from scratch with home assistant and let discovery auto find everything. It will name everything crappy names, then you’d go in through the UI and rename them. You could also just find/replace inside the entity_registy. The benefit of going this route means that you wouldn’t have any dead nodes and all of your zwave sensors and entities would match. You could also achieve this without starting over by blowing away your config and making a new one. But if you truely are from 0.2x then you may want to start over. I started around then and I’ve done 3 ‘start overs’. They take about 4 hours, even less if you move to hassio from hassbian. If you are using hassbian, backup all your hardware configurations for things like samba, letsencrypt, and stuff like that.

If you still have a working stand-alone OZWCP why don’t you add your devices to the stick then use OZWCP to organize things then add the devices to HA? I’ve decided I’m going to give that method a shot when or if I add a new zwave device.

I’ve done this but it doesn’t “reset” the network, as mentioned I have plenty of nodes that i’ve removed and didn’t exclude. I thought the only way to truly start from the beginning would be to reset the controller?

Because I read a recent blog post around the 0.85 releases and it said to no longer do this? OZWCP has been forked and merged into HA itself i think

I’m guessing you didn’t remove the ozw config file though. That contains all the bridged information.

that’s mostly true but some functionality has been removed. namely, the ability to rename nodes so that the new node name propagates down to the children entities. which is the exact problem being discussed here.

i’ve done it both ways and it has worked but i haven’t done it in a long time so it may in fact break things to do it that way now.

But that’s not quite what I was suggesting anyway (sorry for my causing a misunderstanding).

What I meant was to add the devices to the stick using HA like normal but then modify the contents of the stick using a stand-alone version of OZWCP. You’ll still have to jump thru hoops to everything synced back up to HA but then at least you only have to do that once. If you ever need to “re-do” everything again all the info on the stick will still be there.

I’ve never done it so I don’t know for sure if it will work or not but if you are looking at resetting the stick and re-adding devices then you don’t have anything to lose anyway. And then I’ll know if my idea works…:wink:

1 Like

Hmm, so in reality the only way to do things right now is to manually rename every entity under the node :confused:

Doesn’t seem very good, I can just imagine some crazily messy XML file but hey ho.

find/replace is your friend. Use a text editor like notepad++. stuff like this can be done in seconds.

It’s really not that simple, editing 13 entities for each node like this is just the same as doing it manually, there is no unique naming of the entities as you may think.

maybe you aren’t familiar with find and replace? each auto node will contain the same string, find said string and replace it with 1 button after you rename the main zwave.entity_id. You can also have it do the same thing in notepad++ to search all files in a directory… and again, it’s a single button. I do it all the time, literally takes seconds. Just have to do it with HA off.