Static ip on deco mesh

Hey!

I am trying to create a static IP for my HA. in my home we have th internet connection coming in trough a orange router. The internet signal from this router is however not very strong. Therefore, we installed last year a mesh network by using the TP link deco. Just like the router from orange, the deco app gives us the possibility to assign a static ip and a forwarding port. However, the deco app only allows this for the ‘recognized’ devices. When i look in my deco app i can see a lot of different devices that i can assign a static ip, but the home assistant (which has an IP through the deco app) is however not shown.

Does anyone have any experience with this and what was your solution.

Yesterday I set up the HA through the orange router and then the HA was recognized However, I want to set up the HA using the deco network since all our devices are connected to this network and the internet quality is way better.

Thank you and kind regards.
E

Is one of your Decos connected by ethernet cable to your Orange router? I think you should be using the DHCP server on the Orange router and using the Decos only for wifi, that’s basically what I’m doing.

Hey Tim! thanks for the reply. One of the decos is indeed connected to the ethernet cable. I ended up creating a container with HA running in it. This way the IP address is the same as the host, which I could view in my deco app and which I could provide with a static IP and port forwarding etc. Still have to set up the external link for the container :upside_down_face: Guess that will be a struggle for tomorrow :stuck_out_tongue:

I have the deco mesh and it’s performance is amazing, but things like setting a static ip and configuring with the deco app are awful. I like the suggestion to just use a different dhcp server. I have adguard running in a container for dns and might try using that as a dhcp server.

Did you figure out how to create an external link for your container?

I created my HA in docker and find a lot of information regarding the creation of an external link in docker-compose (editing the docker-compose.yml) but for docker itself I haven’t found any information yet.

You mean an external link to access home assistant? I use the SWAG docker container. It’s a reverse proxy combing nginx, duckdns, fail2ban, and letsencrypt for secure remote access

It’s a bit of a pain to get going, but there is a good write up guide here Nginx Reverse Proxy Set Up Guide – Docker

Hey Tim!

thank you for the guide. I found something similar but this one is more detailed.

The problem I am running into is the fact that i don’t have a docker-compose file. From what I understand this file is created when the container is run in docker-compose which seems to be another way of running a container then in docker, or am I wrong?

Sorry not sure why I didn’t see your reply sooner.

It’s actually the other way around. The compose file is created first and then you use it to create the container.

You can start a docker container right on the command line but once you have a lot of variables to define, like for swag, it actually is a little easier to start the container from a compose instead. You install docker compose, create a docker-compose.yaml file with all your variables and info, and just run docker-compose up at the command line in the same directory the file is in to start the container. Here’s a guide with more info.

I came across this thread while looking for matter support… ← another convo

I have my Deco S4 mesh setup as the router.
Virgin (Hub 3) to Main mesh ( in router mode ) to switch and then backhauls / other mesh devices

I then let Deco choose the IP for Hassio in an RPI4 installation. Then within Deco management/ Advanced section, I use Address Reservation and add Hassio’s IP.

I’m really new to this but so far it’s been doing ok for me