Statistic sensor reset/clear at midnight for daily min & max temperature

There’s no time_pattern option in the documentation for the Statistics integration either. It’s also not found in the source code for the Statistics integration.

Why are you suggesting to use an option that doesn’t exist?

It won’t because the time_pattern option only exists in your imagination.

Same question here. Looks like it resets at the time I created the statistic sensor for the first time (or last reboot).

The following Trigger-based Template Sensor reports the highest daily temperature (based on whatever temperature sensor you specify).

- trigger:
    - platform: time
      at: '00:00:00'
    - platform: state
      entity_id: sensor.outdoor_temperature
  sensor:
    - name: 'Today Max Temp'
      unit_of_measurement: '°C'
      device_class: temperature
      state: >
        {% set t_new = states('sensor.outdoor_temperature') | float(-99) %}
        {{ [t_new, this.state | float(-99)] | max if trigger.platform != 'time' else t_new }}
      attributes:
        temperature_updated: "{{ now() | as_local }}"

It’s initial value will be unknown. It will begin reporting a value when the temperature sensor’s value changes. At midnight (start of a new day) it sets its value to whatever is the temperature sensor’s current value.

A similar Trigger-based Template Sensor can be created for reporting the daily minimum temperature (replace the template’s max filter with min).

1 Like

Thx, max temp works. Min temps gives -99 as a result (I replaced the max in the formula with min).

Second question, can I use the same method for max/min temp for the week?

To maintain a long-term record of daily/weekly/monthly/yearly minimum and maximum values, I suggest using the Utility Meter integration. It’s how I keep a record of the number of hours my home’s furnace operates (daily, weekly, etc).

For example, if you want to record the maximum daily/weekly/monthly/yearly temperatures:

utility_meter:
  max_temp_daily:
    source: sensor.today_max_temp
    name: Max Temp Daily 
    cycle: daily
  max_temp_weekly:
    name: Max Temp Weekly
    cycle: weekly
  max_temp_monthly:
    name: Max Temp Monthly
    cycle: monthly
  max_temp_yearly:
    name: Max Temp Yearly
    cycle: yearly

The data for Utility Meter sensors is stored in a table within Home Assistant’s database that is retained indefinitely and is not purged every 10 days (or whatever duration you may have set in the Recorder integration).

1 Like

Cool thx! Works for MAX.

Any thoughts on the minimum temp setting itself to -99 ? I tried playing with it in the template editor but there I get the error UndefinedError: ‘trigger’ is undefined.

I tried deleting the (-99) after the float (just float() ) but that does not seem to do the trick.

edit: found it… I replaced -99 with 99 (suddenly thought of what it does) and now it works!
edit2: weekly and monthly MIN do not seem to get updated (stays on 99)

What is the minimum daily sensor reporting?

Daily min reports 8,5

Monthly MAX shows 0,2 which is also weird…

Schermafbeelding 2022-12-19 225101

Check the weekly/monthly values tomorrow and see if it sorts itself out overnight.

Data produced by the Utility Meter integration is stored as long-term statistics. This is the same as energy sensors and there’s this warning for them:

If it still reports incorrect values tomorrow, we’ll need to investigate.

1 Like

Still the same:

Here is my code:

- trigger:
      entity_id: sensor.buienradar_temperature
  sensor:
    - name: 'Max temp nw'
        {% set t_new = states('sensor.buienradar_temperature') | float(-99) %}
        {{ [t_new, this.state | float(-99)] | max if trigger.platform != 'time' else t_new }}
      attributes:
- trigger:
      entity_id: sensor.buienradar_temperature
  sensor:
    - name: 'Min temp nw'
        {% set t_new = states('sensor.buienradar_temperature') | float(99) %}
        {{ [t_new, this.state | float(99)] | min if trigger.platform != 'time' else t_new }}
      attributes:
utility_meter:
  max_temp_weekly:
    source: sensor.max_temp_nw
    name: Max Temp Weekly
  max_temp_monthly:
    source: sensor.max_temp_nw
    name: Max Temp Monthly
  min_temp_weekly:
    source: sensor.min_temp_nw
    name: Min Temp Weekly
  min_temp_monthly:
    source: sensor.min_temp_nw
    name: Min Temp Monthly

1. Go to Developer Tools > Statistics
  2. Find sensor.min_temp_weekly in the list
  3. Check if there’s a message indicating a problem
  4. If there’s no problem, you can click the icon (at the end of the line) which offers you the ability to delete specific values.
  5. You can try to delete incorrect values and hope it fixes the problem (no guarantee this will fix it).

Repeat the steps for the other long-term sensors.

1 Like

No change unfortunately. Still strange values…

You still have the daily minimum/maximum values which is what you originally asked for in your first post.

Please consider marking my post above with the Solution tag. It will automatically place a check-mark next to the topic’s title which signals to other users that this topic has been resolved. This helps users find answers to similar questions.

Post a new topic asking for assistance to create weekly/monthly sensors that report correct values. Hopefully it will attract a wider audience and someone will be able to help you.

Opened new topic for my issue. I can not mark your post as solution since I am not the topic starter for this one. Anyway, many thanks so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

@123, this was exactly what I needed for a daily stats view I’m working on. Thanks for contributing!
(If I could mark this as the solution, I would! :smile: )

1 Like

Based on this topic I have defined a trigger sensor to get the max. PV power for the day.

- trigger:
      at: "00:00:00"
      entity_id: sensor.sg_total_dc_power
  sensor:
    - name: sg_total_dc_power_max_today
      unique_id: sg_total_dc_power_max_today
      unit_of_measurement: "W"
      device_class: power
      availability: "{{ states('sensor.sg_total_dc_power') | is_number}}"
        {% set t_new = states('sensor.sg_total_dc_power') | float(-99) %}
      attributes:
        power_updated: "{{ now() | as_local }}"

The source entity is a modus register. This register is read every 10 seconds. So the timestamp of the attribute power_updated is changed every 10 seconds. What I would like to achieve is that the attribute has the timestamp when the value of this sensor is changed the last time. So it tells when the maximum occured.

What’s the best way to get the timestamp for the max. value as attribute?

1 Like

Tried to find a solution using the statistics sensor. But using this, I could only set a max_age. But I could not tell the sensor to use the data from today midnight until now.

I created a helper for it and an automation to update it based on the forecasted peak time provided by the forecast.solar integration

alias: Set PV peak time
description: >-
  Update the PV peak time for today. Always update at sunrise. For updates,
  check the validity of the time set.
trigger:
  - platform: sun
    event: sunrise
    offset: 0
    id: sunrise
    entity_id:
      - sensor.energy_production_today
    id: update
condition:
  - condition: template
    value_template: "{{ states('sensor.power_highest_peak_time_today') != 'unavailable' }}"
    alias: Not unavailable
action:
  - if:
      - condition: trigger
        id: update
      - condition: or
        conditions:
          - condition: time
            after: input_datetime.pv_peak_time
            alias: Do not update if peak time has passed
          - condition: template
            value_template: >-
              {{
              as_local(as_datetime(states('sensor.power_highest_peak_time_today')))
              < now() }}
            alias: Do not set time to the past
    then:
      - stop: ""
    alias: Stop if update conditions are not met
  - service: input_datetime.set_datetime
    target:
      entity_id: input_datetime.pv_peak_time
    data:
      datetime: >-
        {{ as_local(as_datetime(states('sensor.power_highest_peak_time_today')))
        }}
mode: queued
max: 10

Interesting idea.
Until now I use the peak time from SolCast integration for Node-Red flows with which I distribute the charge of the battery over the day.

However, for my sensor with the highest output of the day, I want to store the time when my PV modules delivered the highest output.
For this I now use the following definition:

attributes:
        power_updated: "{{ states.sensor.sg_total_dc_power_max_today.last_changed | as_local }}"
2 Likes