Still struggle with Google cameras

Hello,

more and more I get frustrated and confused. I am still struggeling with integrating my different Google Home Nest cameras. There are obviously 3 types. And all of these are different in Home Assistant.

1. Wired Nest Outdoor Cam Gen.1 and Google Nest Hello wired Gen.1

• work in Nest App / Nest Web App
  • show up in Home Assistant and has a refreshing screenshot being shown on the lovelace dashboard when using a picture entity
  • the currently best and only perfectly working camera devices

2. Nest Indoor Cam

• do not work with Nest App
  • need to be integrated in Google Home App.
  • work in Google Home as expected
  • detected as camera in Home Assistant, but do not show a video / black screen instead
  • switching the picture entity to live mode causes the Rasperry Pi and the Home Assistant to crash after a few minutes (I guess because of too much data being transferred)

3. Nest Outdoor Cam 2.Gen (Battery powered)

• do not work with Nest App
  • need to be integrated in Google Home App
  • works there as expected
  • But do not show up in Home Assistant
  • not useable at all in HA

I would be so happy to get help with setting up my seven different Google Home / Nest / whatsoever cameras to be able to use them all in Home Assistant. And not in 3 different systems.

best regards

Am I the only person having trouble using Google Nest Cams and Home Assistant together?
And if it was like that, could someone please confirm that it is possible to create a setup where all Nest Cams work as expected in Home Assistant? I am still curious.

I’m having the same issue with the newest gen outdoor cam. I have it wired to a power supply and see the same behaviour as your indoor cam where I get a black video. So far nothing I have tried has worked

1 Like

I have 3 battery powered Nest Outdoor Cams and they behave the same way as your Nest Indoor Cam. When I click on a camera’s black screen, it live streams in a popup window.

I’ve tried to change the Camera View to “Live” but it only works with 2 of them. There was a “limit reached” error of some kind when I tried to have all 3 cameras live streaming on the same dashboard. HA is installed on an old Macbook Air so it might not crash but I haven’t tested it long enough to be sure.

Hopefully, I can find a way to see an updated screenshot of the last event instead of a black screen. That way, I could just click or tap on it for a live stream.

I came to the point where I thought it might be helpful to completely re-integrate the Nest into Home Assistant. So I deleted the Nest Integration and the Nest Credentials. After going through the full setup, suddenly there were all 7 cameras showing up in Home Assistant. But the main problem persists with most of the cameras, they only show a black screen, and they do not provide a capture image. The live stream breaks down due to capacitity problems. So that is the current situation:

Is there anything else that can be done to get the cameras in #2 to work as the cameras in #1?

I had the same issue with the black screen. This “fixed” it for me. If you add a picture glance card to your dashboard, show the Nest cam and turn on the live feed, it works. This was good enough for me :slight_smile:
Not sure what it does to the load on the Home Assistant device though, but I believe mine should at least be powerful enough.
Hope this helps people, credtis to MathoR for the fix of course, just sharing his/her fix :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, I know that the option live will work, but the load is high on both ends
a) high amount of streaming data from the cameras via wifi
b) high workload on the home assistant’s raspberry pi.

when turning on the live option, the Pi will freeze after a couple of minutes (Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB ram) I guess there is no better RPI right now.