Stop requiring magic to enable templates

As said above, the goal is to have it backwards compatible. The above PR (now closed) did exactly that. it accepted both data and data_template. Of course we are not going to break all automations.

1 Like

[font style=“text-decoration: sarcastic”]

THIS is why I LOVE these forums. The amount of time spent fighting for noble causes that go against the ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ rule of thumb.

Why can’t we all just use data_template everywhere - update the docs wherever data is mentioned (CTL+H find & replace!), etc. Just get used to using data_template (I won’t say anything, but you can still use data if you’re not templating [power user move!]). Tell everyone to use data_template always and everywhere and there’s no longer confusion. Just give it a chance and I’m sure everyone can adjust to the new normal - data_template!

To me, this entire thread is akin to spending 2 hours to reduce two automations into one, when the two work just fine. Which is ironic, because it takes a data_template to do this a lot of the time anyhow - data_template everywhere, always and forever!!

I love this place, such infotainment!

[/font]

3 Likes

Petro, I agree completely.
The scope is (probably) pervasive, but with a goal in mind and everyone aware of that then every change from now on should be with that in mind.

This is just the way it works with messages, which is obviously quite a small garden to be cultivated. The rest of HA is a ‘bit’ more extensive.
But implicit in the title (OP) would be that it apply everywhere.

I quite like @Markus99 's idea but it feels like a compromise.

I Agree with @frenck that it should be backwards compatible (I fully realise that loading your yaml into an editor and search replace “_template” with “” (empty string) is a doddle for even a modest user, but some newbies will not be happy.

It is a worthy goal and one that (understandably) may take a bit more time than 'next release’
:rofl:

Attempt 2 (based on the first attempt):

edit: This has been merged :tada:
As of 0.115, this WTH has been resolved.

25 Likes

Does this mean that I can du stuff like

condition: time
  before: "{{ input_datetime.foo }}"

from 0.115?

1 Like

No @Olen. This applies to data_template, event_data_template and service_template, which now are obsolete.

Thanks.
Should I add another WTH (or feature request) for enabling templates also in other places (like conditions)?

2 Likes

Sure, we should not stack different things in a single topic. The original WTH of this topic has been resolved.