Storage Filling Up Fast all of a sudden

Hi All,

I’ve had HA running in a virtual box VM for about a year now on a headless Win10 machine. Earlier this week HA shutdown. Took me a little while to understand why. Storage got full. Although the VirtualBox storage was set for dynamic, it never increased itself. I was able to get into VirtualBox and extend the size of the storage to get HA back up in running. I increased from the default image size of 32GB to 40GB. I don’t have much more space on that drive to increase further. When HA booted back up after increasing the storage size (this was about 13 hours ago) it reported the storage being 78% full. As I write this it is currently at 84% full. So it’s going about 0.5% per hour.

I haven’t the slightest clue as to what is causing this. I have used the recorder service and set it to purge and only keep data for 1 day.

I have the file editor supervisor add-on, and going through it via a web browser I can see some corrupt databases but they all report 0kb in size. The HA logs indicate that there is a corrupted backup, however that backup does not show up in my list of backups.

I did create a new backup and have downloaded the .tar file. I plan to install a new SSD into this machine and will start a fresh HA VM that I plan to then restore the backup into, however my concern is that whatever configuration is causing this storage consumption will carry over into the new VM and I’ll be faced with the same issue.

I can’t think of any particular new integration that would have caused this, at 0.5% an hour it would’ve had to have been something I’ve added recently. The only “major” thing I’ve done in HA these last few weeks is do core and OS updates. I’m guessing something went corrupt here.

Anyway, and thoughts or ideas is appreciated.

I installed the samba share add-on from the supervisory store, browsing the files I have two large files.

1. A nearly 25gig file that doesn’t have a file extension to it
  2. A 2.4gig file labeled “home-assistant_v2.db”. This file was growing in real time as I browsed the directories.

Both of these files were in the “config” folder, all other folders had very few files in them and they were all small with the exception of the backup folder. I was able to find the corrupted backup and deleted that.

I’m going to move this large 25gig file off of HA elsewhere to see if that matters.

Is there a way to check what is being written to the database?

The 2.4Gb file is the recorder file.
When you purge it, then click repack too and make sure to put the switch to on too.
Repack actually move the elements in the database in the file together, so the file can shrink.
Without repack there are just a lot of unused entries between the entries being used.

1 Like