Stormy Weather Station Integration

Greetings,

Recently I have been navigating the world of 433Mhz weather station integration with ESPHome and Home Assistant. I have been using my Pantech (Ecowitt clone - I think it is a H2550 model) weather station for some years, with it interfaced to Weather Underground.

Recently I thought I would look at integrating my Pantech directly with my Home Assistant… thinking I would source a 433Mhz receiver module, connect it to one of my ESP32 units running ESPHome. How hard could it be, right?

Well success is often an elusive goal, and to date I’ve not had much. I’ve managed to flood the logs of the ESP32 with 433Mhz data… a common issue apparently. I have also navigated the world of ‘include’ statements… adding code in .h files. Unable to find success I moved on to interfacing Weather Underground with my Home Assistant, but that also has some challenges due to API access. From there I looked at the HA Ecowitt integration, but it appears that isn’t suitable for my Pantech/Ecowitt model.

I’ve watched countless videos on YouTube, and read a mountain of blogs and forum posts on the topic. Alas, the solution still elludes me.

So, my question… from the vast experience on this forum, what do you believe is the most efficient approach to interfacing a Pantech/Ecowitt 433Mhz weather station into HA?

Did you already took a step in the wonderful world of RTL-SDR?
Maybe have a look at rtl_433

Also

Hi Chris, I had the 433Mhz receiver lying around, so figured I’d give it a go. But you are probably right and I should look at an rtl based solution. Thanks for the tip and the link.