Stream Component: Confirmed Cameras and Configurations

I apologize for asking this if it was answered elsewhere. Are people still having issues with the stream not working in a browser or the iOS app? I see others with hikvision cameras on here, and I know others had reported issues when this component first came out, but have not seen much since.

my rtsp streams work in vlc, and when casted. The stream does not work in any browser, either in the HA URL, or even posting the rtsp stream in the address bar. Pasting in the address bar has never worked though, so maybe there is something else that needs to be done for this? browser plugin?

@ptdalen do you see any errors in the logs when you do that? Can you try adding ?latest to your HA url and loading that and trying again to see if the stream loads in HA?

Thank you @exxamalte!

Cheers for the pointer to the API URL - I checked it out, and itā€™s still showing a very high resolution snapshot. My picture entity configured as yours is (and mine above) definitely isnā€™t reading from the unifi stream - and itā€™s pretty easy to tell as these are the 4k Unifi cameras, as Iā€™ve configured the low resolution RTSP stream for HA - which I can see in VLC is very ā€œpoorā€.

The card above shows a full screen - very high resolution image - updating every second (ish).

Are you sure youā€™re not seeing a snapshot every second in the web browser? Do you know of a way to confirm via logs that itā€™s trying the RTSP stream? (visually itā€™s notā€¦)

I went into the app to see if I could generate some errors, and low and behold it did come up (it took more than a minute). Iā€™ll play around with the preload stream, and Iā€™ll see if it works in a browser with patience.

Works like a charm.

Thank you very much.

is there anything we need to do to setup or configure to get the Axis cameras to work with stream?

Use the integration and enable stream in configuration.yaml

Iā€™ve done both of those, how can I test to see if its working?

Its supported from next release. If you download the dev release you can try it out

release .91.2 or .92?

It was clearly spelled out in my comment you previously replied to :wink:

Hi,

Have i missed anything in my configuration for the UBNT cam?

# UBNT Protect
  - platform: generic
    name: CAM01
    still_image_url: https://xxx.xxx.xxx.47/snap.jpeg
    stream_source: rtsp://xxx.xxxx.xxx.51:7447/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    verify_ssl: false

It works if I add this to my Lovelace with a Picture-Glance and when I tab the picture it gives me the Live feed. So I guess my configuration is OK.

But if I try as @xbmcnut describes, nothing changes. Still a still picture and if I tab it, then it shows me the Live feed.

What I wanted was the Live feed directly on the frontend.

What did I miss?

So on my home computer I am still unable to view the stream, iOS does seem to work, but it hit or miss, and slow. This is the error I recieve when trying to view a stream on chrome

blob:https://namehere.duckdns.org/cfdfsdfdfa49a-404b-b5d0-dd2fe2aeebcb:1:6333 Uncaught ReferenceError: s is not defined

If you look at the full error in the actual log file you should see something identical to the error I outlined below. Try the workaround I mentioned by adding ?latest to the HA URL and reload the page and trying to load the video again. I bet after a few seconds it will load.

Awesome!

Yup, that fixed it. Will I have to do that every time I restart HA, or just once in a while?

@hunterjm Could you please advise advise what would be the best way to know if camera.record has finished writing to the disk? Iā€™ve been playing with delay however Iā€™m still seeing some files which take a bit more than 20 seconds.

you can force your front end to always load the latest by adding the following to your configuration.yaml

frontend:
  javascript_version: latest

Not at the moment. I can play around with emitting a new event when recording is completed.

1 Like

Maybe try to lower the resolution of your video?

If the event would return the filename, it would solve the problem.