Struggling to diagnose some Zigbee issues. Pls help

I’m using a Hamgeek zigbee ethernet gateway connected to Home Assistant and have a number of zigbee devices connected to it. I have two issues which I hope someone can help with.

1. I’d like to put a motion sensor in my son’s bedroom at the back of the house, which will turn on a heater when he’s there and turn it off when he leaves. I struggled to get a good connection so I used a repeater. I seem to get a good connection, as per the map, but I don’t seem to be able to see the device (Cassius Motion Sensor)

Why is the map suggesting there’s a solid connection to Cassius Motion Sensor, yet it’s saying it became ‘unknown’?

1. I have a device called Vestible Motion Sensor, which seems to forever go in a loop of detecting occupancy then clearing it. This is the second device that it happens with. Both Sonoff.

Advice on how to fix these problems would be appreciated!

When my motion sensors get stuck in that sort of loop I reboot my Pi. It seems to clear it and they will happily be fine until I have to re-pair them (I recently changed the Zigbee channel).

You might try an IKEA motion sensor as they are pretty cheap and reliable. I haven’t had problems with them going offline unless the battery dies.

First follow all these best practice tips:

1 Like

With only a single router in your house, that might not be enough to really create a solid mesh. Where is the router in relation to the motion sensor (angle, distance, etc)?

Thanks everyone. I tried moving the repeater and I’ve now successfully connected to an Aqara sensor in the back bedroom.

All my Sonoff motion sensors are stuck on infinite ‘motion detected’ and I don’t know why. I’ve bought some Ikea sensors to replace them, but can the Sonoffs be rescued somehow. Hard reset? Firmware update?

I think you need some more repeaters in your network. Third Reality makes really good inexpensive wall plugs that are also good repeaters. As to your question, have you tried removing the battery for 20 minutes and putting it back? If not then you could remove the Zigbee device and re-add it.

1 Like

You must add more Zigbee Router devices. Follow this → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimize using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get a stable Zigbee network mesh with best possible range and coverage by fully utilizing Zigbee mesh networking

Thanks. I’ll take a look.