Stuck in manual installation on a Raspberry pi

This is my second attempt of installing on a raspberry pi. The first time was with an image. This time I am doing a manual install.
Following guide:

I get stuck on install command: python3.8 -m venv .
resulting in: bash: python3.8: command not found

Ive been following the guide to the letter, I have no idea what going wrong.
The created homeassistant dir is empty.
Could someone point me in the right direction?

What did go wrong with the image? I HIGHLY recommend to NOT use the manual install (called Home Assistant Core), as from your post it seems like you are not that familiar with Linux, Python etc. A manual install should only be done if you know what you are doing.

1 Like

the image installation worked for a week, then it stoped responding. No idea why.
At the moment I have a raspberry 3 with a pi-hole install and some scripts.
Thought I might install home assistant on it as well.

I do admit that Python is still a big challenge for me. Aseptically when every guide that I try so far seems to have at least one line in that result in an install fail. And my python knowledge is to limited to troubleshoot a language im still learning.

My linux experience so far, it seems that you need to be able to troubleshoot like an expert before you learn the basics.

Then you should troubleshoot and find out why it stopped responding.

The installation in a virtualenv will just give you headaches going forward. The issue here is, that the latest Raspberry OS uses Python 3.7, but Home Assistant needs at least Python 3.8, so you need to do an alt install etc., and you’re going to do this every year. It’s not rocket science, but I just wanna save you save you some time :slight_smile:

1 Like

i would, but it no longer booted, at all. so nothing to look into if I can’t get into any part of the OS.

The python3.8 i have been trying to install for the last hour. That install attempt is also giving me the finger.
So, I think im going to try the image version again like you said. and then try to add the Pi-hole installation to that installation.

As far as I know the Pi-Hole Add-on for Home Assistant OS (image install) has been deprecated in favor of AdGuard, so you won’t get Pi-Hole with the image install.

If you still want to go the virtualenv rout, here’s a guide on how to do it.

My standard recommendation is that 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of people should use either:

• Home Assistant OS
  • Home Assistant Container

Only those familiar with managing Linux, and building software from source, should use Home Assistant Core (manual install).

I’d suggest that if you don’t want to use OS you use Container. Even then, it likely won’t solve the problem you had with the system going unresponsive.

3 Likes

Ill go for the image.

Still have difficulty that most of the guides I encounter, not only the one for home assistant, I first need to troubleshoot.
Maybe I am just from the plug (copy lines of code) and play generation.
Its the main reason I am reluctant to learn python because the basic courses even need troubleshooting before you start.

I think you missed a couple of 9’s off the end of that
:rofl:

1 Like

Perhaps your uSD card got corrupted ???
Can you see anything on a windows machine ?
You may see even more from a linux/mac
Else look with a partition manager of some sort.

Read the installation guide, try to get a largish card of good quality (I’d recommend circa 64GB (given wear evening this will help prolong the life of the card)

I used a 64gb kingston card.
I think I already reimaged it. But, I have a new 64gb card that I am installing now. So, fingers crossed for a second attempt.

Let us know how you get on
:+1: