Subtracting two values from two sensors in a template

Hi,

I am trying to subtract two sensor values but the result I a getting is 0W
Can someone please point out what I am doing wrong?

# Calculate Remaining Power
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      remainingpower:
        value_template: "{{ ( ('sensor.energy_meter_mains_power') | float) - ( ('sensor.energy_meter_kitchen_power') | float) }}"
        unit_of_measurement: 'W'
        friendly_name: Remaining Power
1 Like

You’re converting two strings to floats, which since they can’t be interpreted as floats, the float filter is returning zero for each. Zero minus zero is zero.

See:

thanks Phil,

but I think the values I am useing are floats … am I interpreting the calues correctly?

First, all states are strings, even if they look like something else. Second, you’re not using the state of the entity in your template. You’re using a string: ('sensor.energy_meter_mains_power') | float

You’re trying to convert the string 'sensor.energy_meter_mains_power' to a float, not the state of the sensor.energy_meter_mains_power entity. See the doc page I pointed you to to see how to get the state of an entity using its entity_id.

thanks Phil, I was not aware that values are always stings.
The below is working, but I am getting several decimal places like the below. The round(1) commands are not enough?

sensors:
      remaining_power:
        value_template: "{{ ( states('sensor.energy_meter_mains_power') | float | round(1)) - 
                            ( states('sensor.energy_meter_kitchen_power') | float | round(1)) - 
                            ( states('sensor.water_heater_watts') | float | round(1))}}"
2 Likes

You’ve been bit by the “floats don’t have infinite precision” fact. First, you don’t need to round each term of the equation, you can round the sum, which is probably better anyway. But, still, this can happen. What you really need to do is not round, but specify an output format. E.g.:

sensors:
      remaining_power:
        value_template: >
          {{ '%0.1f' | format(states('sensor.energy_meter_mains_power') | float - 
                              states('sensor.energy_meter_kitchen_power') | float - 
                              states('sensor.water_heater_watts') | float) }}
10 Likes

worked perfectly … thanks for taking the time to explain!

1 Like

hi i used your way to substract two sensors, but noway say HA.

sensors:
      deltacellvoltage:
        value_template: >
          {{ '%0.1f' | format(states('sensor.esp32_6a7860_cell_max_voltage') | float - 
                              states('sensor.esp32_6a7860_cell_min_voltage') )| float  }}
        friendly_name: deltacellvoltage

thnx

You have a parenthesis in the wrong place.

hi, can you pinpoint the wrong place?, i copied it and just changed the sensors and deleted the 3th sensor.

grtz yvo

last paren is wrong. looks like you deleted the third, got an error about a missing and threw in a paren somewhere…

should take a moment and understand the code. where you chose to put the paren doesn’t really make sense.