Suggestions for light/fan combo switch

I’m looking on adding some upgrades to my smart home and i would like to look at the options for fan/light switches.

right now i have a fan with lights that gets controlled by a wall switch with 2 dials. Top dial for dimming the lights, bottom dial for 3 different fan speeds. The top dial is constantly turned on to max because i have 2 philips hue light bulbs in the fan. So they are already integrated

Is there a switch i could buy that would integrate easy with HA that takes care of all the same functionality?

Some people have suggested a Shelly 2.5, but as i understand it that would let me turn on the lights and the fan, but i would have no options for controlling the speed of the fan. I also read some reviews that say the device runs really hot. I live in Central America where the temperature is consistently 30C or above. So this doesn’t seem to be a good idea.

If there is no good switch available, would it be possible to just use a KASA switch? I could connect the wires for the light so they are always on. I’m using smart bulbs anyway, the switch would then just turn the fan on/off.

Any advice for a good switch would be appreciated. I’m not very technical so flashing devices is not really an option unless it’s easily done via software. :slight_smile:

I’ve recently installed Treatlife’s Dimmer, wifi smart ceiling fan switches.

I’ve noticed that while I can control the fan speed in the SmartLife app, it’s not available in HA and only turns on/off (at the last speed setting). Additionally the light dimmer seems finicky as it turns on but then the ability to control it disappears -_-. Still fiddling around with it as it’s only been in a week so I might also have to look at the integration (Uses Tuya).

So all that to say, it’s a good switch but currently the HA integration is a bit wonky.

1 Like

I’m assuming you have seperate wires for the light and fan. Since you already have smart bulbs, you can just wire the fan to the switch and leave the power to the bulbs hardwired on.

This jasco zwave switch will control the fan and set speeds. It has double and triple tap scenes where you can control the smart bulbs by double tapping the switch with an automation. You will need a zwave stick though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTKQTTV/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_MGHC15706S521VRMASVN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Most other options are out of stock or require flashing. The sonoff ifan03 is a good option but needs flashing and a good amount of configuration. Someone put a nice blog together though about it.

There’s an ifan04 now too

1 Like

Yes. If you have separate wires for the light and fan, the Treatlife (light+fan; but I wouldn’t call the tuya integration these days being easy) or GE/Enbrighten (fan only; z-wave) solutions mentioned above should work. I recall Leviton (wifi) and Lutron (Caséta) also can do fan control.

For the hue bulbs, consider this also: Lutron Aurora Smart Bulb Dimmer (zigbee)

So to double check, open the wall switch and see what you have.

If yours being with some RF unit in the canopy that is really controlled by RF remotes, the sonoff ifan03 (for 240VAC) or ifan04 (120VAC) should work. I know Inovelli recently is building a z-wave fan/light switch also, which runs via zwave.
Aldo I’m sure there are other RF bridge solutions out there.

BTW you don’t absolutely have to flash sonoff devices to go zero cloud. See: Sonoffs can work with Home Assistant without changing the Firmware! - YouTube … using stock firmware.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions, i’ll look into them.

My fans don’t work with an RF remote, they are hard wired at the moment.

I can just connect the wires for the light so it’s always on. That’s the case anyway now since i use the Hue bulbs in there. So i can get away with just the Fan control switch

Have you integrated this Enbrighten switch into Home Assistant? This one looks like it would do what i need.
How hard was it to integrate?

Also, if i need a Zwave stick for this to work, what would be the “best” one to buy? I have no zwave devices in my house at all at the moment.

Just some TP Link Kasa switches and Philips hue light bulbs

I haven’t. I use the Inovelli Fan Light Switch which is zwave and works great, but it’s been on back order for awhile. It’s very difficult to get anything right now with the chip shortage.

https://inovelli.com/red-series-fan-light-switch-z-wave/

Others have used this enbrighten one, but posted they needed to add some extra code for automations and Alexa to control it. Their extra code is posted here.

You need a zstick, I use an Aeotec zstick. Check the frequency though to make sure it works in your country. US vs Europe use different frequencies. Some have reported problems with the Aeotec and prefer the zooz stick instead

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNZ56BK/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_8HBDEJZWTK77VN2Z3NBZ

Once you have the zstick, you would use zwavejs to integrate it and the enbrighten switch to Home-assistant.

Hi, any good option with wifi or zigbee? I’m on the same quest but don’t really want to add z-wave (already have some zigbee devices)

Thanks!

I ended up buying Philips Hue light bulbs for my fan/light combo.
Then i used a TP-Link switch to just tourn on the fan, no different settings.
The lights stay on all the time since i can control them with the Hue app or Home Assistant

1 Like

A few posts up I mentioned the sonoff ifan04 . It is wifi device you can use with ESPHome

https://a.co/d/0NrS52H

See this thread for setup info

With the hampton bay wink controller discontinued, there is no zigbee fan/light option I am aware of on the market anymore.

1 Like