Supervisor 212 pulled? 209 now most current?

I have hassio running on docker on Ubuntu 18.04. it upgraded automatically last night to 213 and everything seems to be ok, also the add-ons.

However, last time the supervisor was updated it broke for me and I had to execute the install script again to get it working. Apparently some supervisor permissions changed since I installed it and those changes are not covered by the automatic updates.

So it might be that you are now in a similar situation.

Too bad that supervisor updates STILL cannot be postponed . They can hit unexpectedly and during times when you might not have the time or access to fox things. A real liability.

2 Likes

@pvizeli Could you spare a few minutes to explain why the supervisor must automatically update, especially as now it shows there is an update in the supervisor tab, but will will apply it automatically even if you are not ready for it.
also if I force a manual downgrade why does it automatically upgrade back to the same version and not honour the wishes of the device owner not to upgrade.

I’m on the verge of blocking all internet access from the HassOS device until I want to do updates at this rate. Even the much hated Windows 10 updates allow you to postpone.

5 Likes

A very good one, I have also been curious about that for a very long time myself as well.
Stable and Beta channels automatically update. Not when you’re on the Dev channel though. There it’ll stay on the supervisor version you’ve installed it to.

It is not suggested though for anyone, without the technical know-how to debug issues, to run on dev mode! But I also agree, I would like to be in control of the versions I want to run to avoid issues or when manually downgrading that the version remains there.

It happened to me before that the supervisor version was updated during the night (ok was my dumb mistake to update during the night), and HA didn’t boot anymore. Supervisor was running, not Home Assistant Core or all related add-ons. Nothing worked anymore in my house. Unfortunately manually downgrading did not help as Supervisor automatically started updating once it started booting again.

Luckily Frenck was online at that time of the hour and helped me out to get this solved. I am still super grateful for @frenck that he had the patience and took the time to help me out. I owe him one!

2 Likes

Updated to Supervisor 214 and the issue is fixed. I still show a critical udev error. I will try to reinstall again when I have time later today, but I did the reinstall when there were issues with Supervisor 208, and it doesn’t seem like I should have to keep reinstalling for things to work.

I would add my vote for being able to choose when the supervisor updates. Having HA break during times when I don’t have time or access to fix things is problematic to say the least.

Many thanks to @pvizeli for fixing this so it works with older versions of HA Core. I’m not updating to 0.107.x until z-wave issues are solved, and I also have a remote instance running 0.101.x that I don’t want any changes to, because I have no idea when I might have physical access to it in the current coronavirus situation.

1 Like

Is there a way to ssh in and check for the 214 update? Or do I just have to let it eventually update itself?

Just need some help, still cannot update supervisor, connection refused…

$ ha help

~ $ ha supervisor update                                                  Processing... Done.

Post http://supervisor/supervisor/update: dial tcp 172.30.32.2:80: connect: connection refused
~ $

I have the same.
Can anybody help?

how to recover from supervisor recent issue?

Did a dirty reboot, unplugged power of RPI 3, was lucky it worked…

Yeah, I saw your comment on github.
I would like to do something more precise, like doing something with containers using console or so.