Support for Casting cameras through Google Assistant

OK, now that 0.90 has been released, what are the chances that we can get this working? I’ve already tested and the camera.play_stream service works amazingly well. I would love to be able to tell my Google Assistant to show me the door camera on the living room TV without having to get IFTTT + NodeRed involved.

I’m still trying to get through this, but you won’t need the complicated IFTTT + NodeRed, all you need is to switch on an input_boolean from GA, maybe create a routine with special keyword (like show me who’s at the door) that triggers an automation in HA…

Or a script to call the service

It looks like there’s already a PR to add the required trait.

1 Like

Hi guys,

So if this gets developed, then the idea is you can ask google to stream your cameras setup HA to a chromecast?

Does anyone know what software / GUI Paulus uses in the videos that are linked in the PR?

A Google home hub? Wait for release 91.0, normally today

Oh is it a Google Home Hub, didn’t catch that.

But was I right about the the intention, that the cameras should be able to be casted to the Chromecast, after they are exposed to Google Home?

They don’t need to be exposed to Google, the hub is probably a cast device, just like a Chromecast…
From 91 , there will be a new camera trait, so you can actually control it by voice, but the effect will be the same

Yes, but in my case I won’t have a hub.
I will only have my Chromecast Ultra devices on the back of my television.

My goal is then, when someone pushes the doorbell or the motion sensors detect something, then my television will be powered on, on the HDMI input where the Chromecast is connected, and then my camera or cameras are being casted to that or those devices.

So I just thought that if that should work, then I had to say to my Google Home Mini: Turn on Camera one on Chromecast XXX. Or if I made an automation, then HA will just do the job for me.

Does it make sense?

Yes, that already works with current 90.0. , With stream: component

Do you happen to have a working config of that?
Sorry I’m not the sharpest tool in the toolbox :smile:

Well, do you already have a working camera as generic component? How far are you?

I do have one of my 4 cameras running with the generic component and that is about it, but it works very well :).

The rest is still running with the ubnt camera component.

well, then just add stream: to your config

then you have new services like play_stream

look in this topic for examples :

Will give it a shot!
So when the play stream works, then I should also be able to say to Google Mini “Stream blabla” to Chromecast xxx.

to actually sait it, in google assistant, to expose a camare , you need to wait for 91
for now, you can expose a switch/script that does the same thing
if you want native, wait for this one : https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/22278

Was this a part of 0.91 version, because I do see the services even though I havent added the stream: to my config?

EDIT: I added the camera to be exposed to my Google Assistant and it shows up. Unfortunately no matter what name I give the camera, then it just streams a video from Youtube when I say: OK Google, stream / play “My Cam” on Chromecast Kitchen.

I also have generic camera component exposed to Google and it shows up as a camera in the Google Home app. When I ask google to stream CCTV to Android TV I get “OK playing CCTV videos from YouTube on Sony Bravia TV”

When I give the command “show me the front door camera” on my google hub in the kitchen it starts streaming the camera. I have it named front door camera in the Home App.

Have those of you having problems tried that command yet? "Show me on " ?

I tried renaming it to a longer name in my local language, no difference.
She tells me that it will stream whatever I say from Youtube and then onto the Chromecast.

:frowning: