Support for Environment Canada platforms

Awesome. I found the root cause of the auto selection failing as well, it’s because the Wikipedia list includes a decommissioned site at McGill. Once I ignore it, things should be back on track.

Hi,
I use the environment Canada info to feed an alexa skill for current temp, etc. Is there a way to get an updated component without waiting for the next HA release? I’m not able to use the component right now because of the timeout issues when retrieving data.
For some reason, some of my sensors are populating from Environment Canada while others aren’t. Right now, I get Humidex, but not temperature for some reason. It’s really inconsistent.
I’m using the Toronto Airport station.

@jfayre If you’d like to live dangerously, you can run my latest build for 0.98 by copying the files from my fork: https://github.com/michaeldavie/home-assistant/tree/env_canada_98/homeassistant/components/environment_canada. Put these files in a folder at <config>/custom_components/environment_canada and restart, and you should be all set. Let me know if you have any trouble.

I’m trying to install Environment Canada Platform on Hassbian Home Assistant but on loading I get the following error

ImportError: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/numpy/core/_multiarray_umath.cpython-37m-arm-linux-gnueabihf.so)

howto get that library

Did you try the command from the documentation?

Yes and I did
sudo apt-get install libatlas-base-dev libopenjp2-7
but now GLIBC_2.27 seams to be missing

I’m on Hassbian, HA 0.97.2

Even if I run
sudo apt-get install libatlas-base-dev libopenjp2-7
getting the message
libatlas-base-dev is already the newest version (3.10.3-1+rpi1).
libopenjp2-7 is already the newest version (2.1.2-1.1+deb9u3).
I still get in the log
ImportError: libopenjp2.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Are you having this problem only with the radar / camera component, or with the weather and sensor ones as well? I believe that in 0.97+ it should be isolated to the camera.

No I’ve commented out camera, sensor. I only have weather.
Now with only weather I get the following error when I check config:
Platform not found: weather.environment_canada

That’s weird, but I’m not too familiar with Hasspbian. Did you do a clean install of 0.97.2? The code is there, so I’m not sure why it would be missing.

Let me check more in dept. I didn’t do a clean install of HA as I’m with HA since 0.50. I just run the update for HA and Hassbian regularly.

I just installed that super add-on… Most of sensors working but some are “unknown” as the “sensor.precipitation_yesterday”. As it rained yesturday, i’m probably supposed to have a value in that sensor. I want to use it on my irrigation system.

Can someone confirm that sensor is working and maybe why i didnt have a value on it?

Thanks!

Do you know what station you’re using? Not all values are populated by Environment Canada for all locations, so it sometimes makes sense to use a better maintained one that is slightly farther away.

In any case, you can always check the data against the page for your location, like https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-118_metric_e.html for Ottawa. These pages are based on the same XML data that the component uses, so they should match.

OK, there’s no “precipitation yesturday” available on my local page… I’ll ask EC to add it! ;o)

Thanks!

Does anyone else experience a problem where the card isn’t updating the daily forecast regularly? I’ve had a few instances where the forecast showing was for the two previous days and it does not update to the current forecast until I restart Hassio.

Before reboot:

After:

Yes, I noticed this problem; there was a mistake in the way I was refreshing the forecast. I’ve submitted a pull request with the fix, but I’m not sure if it will make it into the 0.99 release.

Hey thanks for the quick reply. Look forward to the fix and thanks again for such a great component!

I had some issues with the copy pasting for the announcement script off the component page maybe picked up a space in front of data_template. Anyway here is my adaptation for google tts to announce the weather WATCHES part of things. Thanks so much for the template. Do people mind these things in the middle of the night or I’m curious how people may allow or not or delay announcements. This by far the most valuable component I have running in HA if I can put it to proper use. big thanks for it

sequence:
   - service: tts.google_translate_say
     data_template:
        message: "{{ states('sensor.watches') }} in effect. {{ state_attr('sensor.watches', 'alert detail') }}"
1 Like

If you’re interested, I created a “feels like” template sensor that uses the humidex, wind chill, or air temperature as its state depending on what’s available.

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      feels_like:
        friendly_name: "Feels Like"
        device_class: temperature
        unit_of_measurement: "°C"
        value_template: >
          {% if not is_state('sensor.humidex', 'unknown') %}
            {{ states('sensor.humidex') }}
          {% elif not is_state('sensor.wind_chill', 'unknown') %}
            {{ states('sensor.wind_chill') }}
          {% else %}
            {{ states('sensor.temperature') | round(0) }}
          {% endif %}
1 Like

Hi,
I’m regularly running into a situation where the environment canada sensors don’t update and I need to restart HA to get them working. They will all just come up as unknown. Does anyone have any ideas?
I was running 0.99.2 and just updated to 0.99.3.