Midea branded AC’s with ESPhome (no cloud)

I just tried the midea discover and it outputted a message that the device is not supported so unfortunately the midea component is not a way to go for me …

that is why i am looking for this option, right now I am using Broadlink rm4 as a universal remote … but it only sends messages, it does not read the state or anything else

I wouldnt rely too much on that component, My ACs also reported unsupported and they work fine using dudanov’s component.

If you can share a picture of your outdoor unit I can tell if its Midea based or not.

You need to differentiate between the Midea A/C component from MacZhou and the component here. This is one component (other thread).

The second one is the component here in this thread, it’s an ESPHome based component for Midea A/Cs. That is something entirely different and is only remotely connected to this component here.

Yeah i know, this is a “home made” solution with usb/esp flashing.

That being said, the USB is actually a smart kit with EU-OSK103 written on it. Does it change anything for me ? I still need to buy the HW and make this home made solution right ?

Also I think (idk if its the same for all ACs) its a midea-like AC based on the pictures in this thread. Here is the wiring diagram with the plastic cover where the actual display sits.

1 Like

Yep this AC will probably work, looks very similar to mine.

Looks identical to my MrCool unit. Which works nicely. I replaced Usb dongle with mine. Midea A/C and ESPHome component - list of all known working models and manufacturers - #3 by mariojas

I concur with @nvschilleman , it will probably work with Vivac.
And yes, the esphome dongle will replace the osk103 wifi module.

Thank you all for the answers. I will start ordering the stuff to make one, by any chance is anybody already selling these ? I saw this one which looks like an all in one solution.

P.S.: Should I look under the LCD cover to check wheter an UART connection is possible there ?

The wifi module goes out and dongle replaces it….

However, I used the 4 pin header plug instead of the usb plug (as some users have issues with the USB plug not being USB and it won’t fit)
122f47220dcc1547196f57708af07c8913e9054f

and my header plug on the right:

I have the same USB style wifi dongle as you, with the notches on sides (right picture)

GitHub - dudanov/iot-uni-dongle: An project of universal minimalistic Wi-Fi dongle for various IOT appliances controlled via UART. :slight_smile: Ask @dudanov, he’s the code-owner of this repository and is selling these dongles. Just ask him here or in the Telegram group (link in first post). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nope, you wont find it there, the UART connection is in the same place where the original dongle is placed.

Look at this. That’s my implementation. Not very appealing but it’s not visible from outside and I am not touching any internals (hope for retaining warranty). Looks inspirational?

absolutely ! what kind of usb cable did you use ? and why not connect it directly to the motherboard using the uart connector (idk what is called)

Check my previous post for a link to some details what I did. Spoiler alert: I did this cable by myself. You buy USB connector for cable attachment, which comes in pieces, and I just modified the plastic insert to fit the connector.
As I said, I did that because I didn’t want to modify the AC unit. Just unplug USB dongle and stick in mine…

Mine looks like this, i only removed the usb2header

and used a 4 pin header plug including cables which i took from an old pcb.
So i did not modify / solder anything :wink:

1 Like

Well, your setup looks bit different. Notice I have USB socket in separate “case”. Two grey cables goes to the display unit, which one is I believe connected to the outside unit and second is to separate USB module.

Thanks to all the info in this thread i managed to make my own dongle. I’ve made it open source, check it out at Github.

(Sorry, as a newcomer I cannot post images, and only 2 links)

Awesome dude…cheers!!

1 Like

Hi all!
I want to share my experience of dongle building. I used Wemos D1 mini and spent few days trying to make it work. Bad choice, here is information: https://www.element14.com/community/thread/77097/l/wemos-d1r1esp8266-uart-communication
Wemos D1 mini has only one fully-functional UART that is already occupied by USB-to-Serial onboard converter. So I had to use software UART:

uart:
  tx_pin: 5
  rx_pin: 4
  baud_rate: 9600

It works finally.

Logic level shifter: 5PCS 2 Channel /4 Channel IIC I2C Logic Level Converter Bi Directional Module 5V to 3.3V|Integrated Circuits| - AliExpress

8 Likes