Support for Nest Protect

Is your Nest Protect battery powered or connected to main power? Motion detection (occupancy) is only detected on wired Nest Protect, as mentioned in the README.

Yes, as long as they are all connected to the same Google account. If your Nest Protect app will show multiple devices, Home Assistant will as well. :wink:

I have to say that the integration is not at its best at the moment. Since Google changed their authentication, you will need to gather your cookies and use them. I haven’t had time to work on this and happy that someone did contribute a first version of a cookie login for HA Nest Protect. This version is released as a beta (and thus harder to install), because there are still a lot of open issues with this version.

Hi iMick, I have wired Nest protects. And found it! Should have checked Entities > Search for nest_protect_X_occupancy. I’m a bit surprised the motion detection takes at least 10 minutes before giving a clear status.

Hi All
Has something changed with either the integration or the google backend?

My Nest protect integration was solid for many months, but i’m recently found that i lose connection after every system restart meaning i have to gather another cookie and key which no longer seem to persist.

Is this the same for anyone else?

12/08/23 and the beta v0.4.0b1 solution seemingly worked for me (I only have 1 battery Nest Temperature sensor) Thanks so much everyone!

Anyone else having issues with being logged out after a few days?

Since I saw the new HACS beta show up for the protect, I thought I would try and get this running again.

However, something very weird is going on - I can’t seem to log in via the web interface to home.nest.com, either in a normal window, or incognito, on my desktop or my android phone. I click on sign in via Google, I input my name and password, and use my security key to authorize 2 factor sign in.

After this, I just get a screen that says signin by google, but it’s definitely logged in, I get security alerts in my email, and the logged in account shows up on that page as an option for the login. But even after I select it, it still drops back to sign in with google.

The Nest app works fine though. Is something broken on the web frontend?

Here a quick status update on the ha-Nest-Protect development. I have been very busy with work and other open source contributions (Overkiz integration for Somfy, in core), thus last year I haven’t been able to work on the Nest Protect integration.

Personally, I am still using the integration via the legacy authentication method and this works like a charm. Happily Cruguah did do a first attempt to add authentication via user-retrieved cookies to the integration, and this has been released as the beta version for a long time.

Since Google won’t release any SDM API update with Nest Protect probably, I will spend some more time the coming weeks on hardening the integration and making sure we have a single version for both authentication method (legacy users and new users) where most of the open issues are fixed.

ASK:

• There wil newer beta versions coming out more frequently, please give them a try! (and report back on GitHub)
  • In the past we had reports around smoke / co detection not working in HA. This is very important for this integration, thus more tests here would be welcome. If you are able to trigger your smoke alarm and use the “Download diagnostics” button in HA (while your alarm is triggered!), that would help me a lot.
1 Like

There is no way to trigger the smoke alarm except by blowing actual smoke at it - pressing the button tests the siren, not the detector. You can buy aerosol sprays to carry out “real life” checks on smoke alarms without damaging them.

Or take a hot shower in my case :sweat_smile:. Steam detection doesn’t work very well in my situation.

On a serious note, anyone that is willing to test this, would be appreciated!

But steam is not fire. Nest protects don’t react on steam (what I know)

looking forward to this because downloading the beta through HACS to HA and then using a working token + cookie from incognito just throws “unexpected error” during setup and never works…

1 Like

This should not happen, I have tested the latest beta version and this works for me. Please create an issue on GitHub with your log. (and make sure you don’t use a fork, many people with issues don’t run my code :smiley: ).

Otherwise you can install it manually: remove your custom_components/ha-nest-protect folder. Download
https://codeload.github.com/iMicknl/ha-nest-protect/zip/refs/heads/beta. Place the ha-nest-protect folder in your custom_components folder.

I’ve been using this integration for quite sometime now, and it’s been working fine, ever since I sorted out the authentication issues.

I’m curious however is anything has changed in the latest beta in relation to the Remote Nest Temperature Sensor Battery Level entity?
Recently the battery level’s suddenly are not found anymore, however I do not know specifically when this happened.

I have an entity card that lists out battery levels and these are now unavailable.

- entity: sensor.nest_temperature_sensor_person1_bedroom_battery_level
  - entity: sensor.nest_temperature_sensor_person2_bedroom_battery_level
  - entity: sensor.nest_temperature_sensor_master_bedroom_battery_level

Device Info for one of the temperature sensors is below:

I know you have commented that this is not currently supported and is on the feature add list. I was wondering if the “Heads Up” entity would do the same thing if added as a button so that when steam or smoke from burnt toast triggered it could be silenced.

@imick Do you think Google might be waiting to release Matter support when feasible for Nest Protect? In a couple years I have to replace all 6 of my Protects so if they don’t plan on Matter support or the SDM API, then I will go with another brand. Open to suggestions on which one to consider as I am guessing we have all thought about this option with all the troubles related to Google’s poor Protect support (from HA perspective at least).

No, however I don’t know an alternative that has an occupancy sensor…

If they do, it’ll be a gen 3 revision most likely, and I don’t think Google want to get involved in smoke alarms anymore.

@LondonBenji One thing I have learnt is not to buy Google hardware as they don’t stand behind it for very long. Maybe a phone or tablet but for the rest everything they do seems to go to the graveyard prematurely.

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:

I’m struggling with the creds part of this.

my issue token looks the same as the screenshots:
URL Starts with:
‘https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/’
URL Ends with:
‘&include_granted_scopes=true&auto=0’

1st question, do I remove ‘&auto=0’ at the end of the URL to match the instructions?

Also, the cookie.
Starts with:
NID=511=sx
Ends with:
OtdWYqc4g

2nd question, I see the instructions start the cookie with ‘_Secure’. I have 2 mentions of the the phrase secure in the cookie text.

I’ve tried numerous alterations of the issueToken and oauth2/iframe and I cannot get it to work.

Running v0.4.0b4 but have tried the others.

Thanks All

that workaround seems to be fundamentally broken now - for me at least