Support for password managers on the sign-in

I use 1Password to store strong passwords and automatically sign in to web sites, however it does not work with the Home Assistant sign in page.

This request is to update the design of the Home Assistant sign-in page to follow the advice on https://support.1password.com/compatible-website-design/ to enable password managers such as 1Password, Chrome, Firefox, etc. to auto-fill the userid and password fields. This would be particularly useful for those that use strong passwords and the mobile app.

Seconded. The current form has field name IDs like input1 and input2. Would it be difficult to make them semantic?

1Password now auto-completes the Home Assistant userid and password fields on the login page. Not sure when this started working.

Host Operating System Home Assistant OS 5.11
Update Channel stable
Supervisor Version supervisor-2021.02.9
Docker Version 19.03.13
1Password Version 7.7 (70700015)

There once was issue#1622 from 2018, which was then closed (in 2020) in favor of issue#3133, which was "closed (solved)"in 2021.

Yet here we still are. :slight_smile:

I use dashlane, and it can’t fill in the login details. Only website I have come across where it fails.

Please, this is extremely simple to implement. In fact, HA has probably turned this functionality off by stripping out the HTML tags for the fields.

1 Like

Safari can’t seem to autofill from icloud keychain and hasn’t been able to for a long time.

I can never figure out what random password I used last time, and when I eventually get logged out, I inevitably have to reset my password because it’s not auto-saved into my keychain.

This is worse functionality than I get from most banks. It also doesn’t get me any spouse points. Every time his app gets logged out and we can’t get him logged back in with a few simple taps, he refuses even harder to use the software.

To update my comment, I was actually slightly wrong here.

I am using the password manager 1Password, which initially (a few years ago) was not working at all, but now (not sure since when) works just fine with 1 caveat:
The “1Pass” icon will not be added to the user/pass field and the typical drop-down will not be added there either, however by simply clicking on the “1Pass” in the toolbar you’ll be able to click “Auto Fill”.

I can’t comment on other password managers, but at the least 1Pass is mostly working! :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t exactly call this “mostly working”. It should work (as all other sites), otherwise user will assume that it is broken.

HA devs: See section 2.1.11 in https://github.com/OWASP/ASVS/blob/ed04cb9240cf4e38c1dca3fdea71f929c070f6a9/4.0/en/0x11-V2-Authentication.md

1 Like

I have the same problem. 1password does not suggest to autofill in Safari when I open HA login page. This is the only website I’ve seen 1password fail so far.

For me, using 1password, safari and chrome don’t automatically fill in the fields. I can manually autofill using the 1password button in chrome but the safari 1password integration’s manual autofill doesn’t work at all.

2 Likes

Still doesn’t work with 1Password :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

This seems to be fixed with 2023.10 and Adjust password manager polyfill for form injections by steverep · Pull Request #17830 · home-assistant/frontend · GitHub.