Support for the Merkury Light Bulb

So I managed to get it flashed. For some reason I had to do the ‘reset’ process in the middle of the firmware dump. Now I’m just trying to figure out which module type to use.

@forsquirel when you run the ./start_flash.sh command do you see the ‘vtrust’ wireless network and when you try to connect to it nothing happens?

I found I had to run

killall wpa_supplicant

Now I was on Kali linux when I did this. As soon as I used the command above I was able to connect to the vtrust network properly.

Hope this helps

I ran it from a fresh pi install with just the tuya files. Everything worked, I could just not get it the light to connect to the network. Everything is flashed now and set up, but I’m not sure which module is the correct one for this light.

edit: I should mention I have the Merkury 75w white+color bulb

ah check the Wiki on the Tuya convert git-hub page.
On the compatible devices under lights you;ll find a few Merkury lights.

I put in the entry for the white light. I used the generic module and set GPIO5 to PWM1. But double check that it’s the same model.

Once set you’ll be able to use the web interface on the bulb to turn on, off, and have brightness control.

3 Likes

Thanks! If I figure anything else out I’ll drop it in this thread

Hi,

Would you by chance have a write up on this? I’m going to have to set me up a linux machine. I’ve been very involved with computers for years and years it’s just linux is not my strong point at all.

Thanks,

Steve

You can find a quick post I put together when I did the flashing a few weeks back.
I hadn’t gotten around to posting it until you asked.

It’s not pretty and needs some better formatting but it’s all there.

http://smartthings.thelongfields.ca/2019/02/22/tasmota-install-on-tuya-based-components/

Just an update for those with the 11w White+RGB bulb. The latest dev branch has support for colors but you’ll need to compile your own firmware. Its pretty painless. I did it in about 5 minutes and it works like it should. I’m still trying to figure out MQTT for the colors but I have managed to get different colors to display.

Ok, I haven’t tried to convert to tasmota yet. Still trying to learn the ins and outs of HA. I have 2 of the Merkury bulbs ($15 at walmart). They are dimmable but I’m not sure how to get the dimmable portion to show up in HA. I have them installed into HA as Tuya’s.

Anybody have any advice to show a dimmer slider for the bulb?

Steve

The start_flash script doesn’t find the bulb. I let it search for 10 minutes before I gave up.
I’m using a raspberry pi 3 with the latest Raspbian.
There is one error in the log file about not being able to add the mon interface to the wifi. That doesn’t seem to cause a problem with the pi’s ap.

Has anyone had success flashing the color Merkury bulb? If so, what hardware did you use for the Linux computer?

I figured it out. Turning the bulb on and off three times quickly switches modes from ap mode (slow blinking) to “EZ” mode (fast blinking).

It needs to be in EZ mode. I got it working!

Ok, I was able to get tasmota flashed, made the connection in the interface to my home wifi. Apparently I set something up wrong. The bulb is now on solid but does not connect to my wifi. It does not have its own access point now and I don’t know how to reset it. Apparently the power on off 3 times doesn’t work after flashing with tasmota. Any ideas?

question, are you sure you flashed it? Did you get success? Sometimes while in the flash process it will become solid but nothing actually happens. Then its a guessing game as to the 3x power cycle.

the 3 cycle power time isn’t immediate. If its still on its original firmware you have to let it sit for a few seconds before it will flash. If you’ve flashed it with Tasmota or something it should have its own AP you need to login to.

Yes. It definitely flashed. I joined it’s access point, actually got to the configuration screen. Once joined I had to go to 192.168.4.4. I then set it to join my home wifi. Once that happened I disconnected but now I don’t see it on my iP reservations. The bulb is on steady but no visible ip nor access point. I have tried the 3 and the 3+3 power cycle but it doesn’t work.

So I should add…I don’t know how to reset the bulb since it has tasmota on it. I can’t get it back into access point mode.

try logging into your router and see if DHCP gave it an address. could be its there but you’re just not seeing it.

I’ve done that and not seeing anything. It doesn’t register it at all nor is there any access point visible.

If it helps, I pulled the bulb apart and found this.

Not sure if one of those pins will help with the reset

What changes did you have to make to the stock Tasmota firmware to work with the Merkury 11w White+RGB bulb? And what GPIO assignments did you use in the config? I also got some of these on black friday sale and was just pulling them out to try and flash Tasmota on them. Actually tore one apart to attach wires before reading I could OTA them here.

You need to compile your own firmware. Someone over on github replied to me

We just added support for this LED driver. You can compile the latest development branch and set your module type to SYF05 and GPIO13 to SM16716 PWR for color support.

edit: You can either compile your own and upload during the tuya convert process or use tuya convert to get the bulb up and running and then upload a new firmware through tasmota. I won’t be home till tomorrow but I might just go ahead and compile a generic on for this bulb in particular and post it somewhere for those using the RGB bulbs.