Support wake-word/hot-word detection by the android frontend

This feature request Android shortcut for starting starting conversation requested to be able to start talking to the new voice assist using a single press on a shortcut in an android device.
Even better is if the user will be able to start talking to the voice assist after saying a wake-word/hot-word (like “Okay Google”, “Hey Siri”, …) without even pressing the android screen.
This is good for always-on tablet that shows the HA dashboard all the time for example. (e.g. you have such tablet in your living room, and you can just start talking to it without even being near it or pressing it)

I think this is do able all depends where the wake word dection is ran. If on HASSIO it would have to constantly monitor the mic of the device. I see it being done locally like what is in google assistant or what is being developed for the rhasspy AI app. I would love to see this implemented though. Did some quick googling, haven’t read full article, but this may be useful for said future in the Android companion app.

No need to have the HA app handle it, you can have Android process the hotword detection locally and send the commands to your HA server when it hears the hotword. I’m using tasker with the hotword plugin to handle this and it’s seamless, fast, and very accurate - if you use the right hotword… I tried using “computer” and “jarvis” as hotwords at first and found the false positive rate was too high, something more distinct is needed for better accuracy).

It’s been running for over a month with no issues, I’m surprised I haven’t seen more people doing this so I’ve been trying to put the word in threads like this to make others aware.

I have honestly been wondering if this can actually be implemented into the home assistant companion app so that not only can home assistant be used as the default assistant, but can also be called upon just like the Google Assistant can. I know that Alexa only supports using the wake word on Android with very specific. And it seems like Android doesn’t seem to have much documentation on hotword detection, and at the same time, the compatibility definition document seems to state that Android systems:

MUST NOT allow a user-installable application to provide the hotword detection service.

Which implies that home assistant only wouldn’t be able to use OpenWakeWord on Android. And would have to use whatever an Android system provides it instead. But doesn’t necessarily seem to say that it wouldn’t be possible for home assistant to take advantage of the hotword detection service to automatically pull up assist when set as the default assistant

Can you explain the process a little bit? I want to use this aswell but i don’t know how to handle this exactly.

See my earlier post here: Setting up a 100% local smart speaker on an Android tablet using Tasker and Snowboy to handle wake word detection