Swamp Cooler Efficiency

Hey guys, this is my first post, so cheers!

I’ve created a custom sensor component that takes in two other sensor values for temperature and humidity, and then updates itself with the best-case output temperature for a swamp cooler.

It uses a copy of the lookup table found here: https://www.air-n-water.com/evaporative-cooler-size.htm

Currently, I’m using this in an Home Assistant to intelligently switch between using a swamp cooler, versus the air conditioning in my house. The sensor always reads the best-case temperature, so you can use a generic thermostat like in my configuration to switch on the air conditioning when the best-case temperature goes above the set temperature of the thermostat.

So, it currently works just fine. When the humidity gets too high, then my AC units switch on, and when the swamp cooler can handle it, it switches back.

Just thought this might be useful for someone out there, as I know it saves me a ton in electricity. I no longer have to wonder if I’ll come home to a swampy house.

2 Likes

Moved this into “Share Your Projects”. Cool idea! (Pun unintentional when typing, but I’ll stick with the Dad joke as written…)

1 Like

This is an awesome way to use automation! Thanks for posting.

1 Like