SwitchBot Curtain via Bluetooth - no Security and read only?

Even after updating to 2022.8.1 the problem persists:

That’s a shame, mine area all working now with no warnings in the logs. I never saw an error the same as yours though.

Same error for me. Running on a raspi 4 with Ubuntu and docker. :-/

Same error here. I even reported it on GitHub but my ticket was closed because this was supposed to be fixed with update 2022.8.2. Well, it didn’t fix it for me.

Exactly the same for me

For me there also is no response, but it does see and displays the curtain properties. I’ve also had it found it twice. I added it, and a few hours later it found it again… that one immediately didn’t work and displayed connection issues, while the original one does display all properties, just doesn’t respond. When I readded it without password it actually connected quicker (and yes now this also has me worried anyone can add a curtain bot?). But no change.

My logs don’t show use errors. bascially just one saying the connection is lost.

Switchbot communication failed. Stopping trying
7:53:01 PM – (ERROR) /usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/switchbot/devices/device.py

I also have an actual switchbot, that one cannot be found at all.

What I noticed is that in the switchbot app you can set a bluetooth password for a switchbot, but not for a curtainbot. Perhaps that is what the password is for? So it’s perhaps on Switchbot to make the curtains saver?

1 Like

I had a similar issue and opened a GitHub issue (see above). The Dev replied that they are going to remove the name and password dialog for curtain as they are not required.
I’m one of the lucky ones and mine now work fine. About 30 secs delay from clicking close to any response from the curtain though

I got it working by removing, restarting and waiting for ha to discover them, not manually adding

I removed it and had it rediscovered automatically. Could it also be a range issue? My HA and Curtain are quite far removed from one and other.

Maybe but mine have an RSSI of -90 so not very strong

The Switchbot Curtain devices don’t support a password.
The Switchbot Bots however do.
I think for a bot potentially opening a door the password makes sense, for the curtains I don’t need it.
Passwords need to be setup in the Switchbot app on your phone.

PR submitted for the simplified config flow:

With 2022.8.5 I saw a lot of updates for Switchbot. For me no change in none responsive behavior, etc. Does it work for anyone else now?

Still working for me.
Are they working properly in the switchbot app ?

Have you removed the integration and done a host reboot ?

The updates did not change anything for me but some messages that the command failed. Still not working.
Works with ESP and mobile app but not with HA.

In the Switchbot app everything works. I’ve removed and readded them more times then I can count :slight_smile:

What do you mean with a host reboot?

Settings - System - Hardware - three dots - Reboot Host

Do this after you have removed the integrations. once you’re back up it should discover them again

I had the same issue and tried lots of things, not sure what finally worked though !

1 Like

That’s a shame. Something is definitely wrong with the integration.

It worked once… after a few times sending the open request it did indeed open the curtains (I find both of them separately, but they do seem to work as one). It does seem that was the only time.

Out of curiosity. What is the difference between a Reboot Host and a more regular reboot?

Indeed, I did keep trying and then suddenly it worked. There is quite a delay after sending a command though, roughly 10-30 seconds.

I still get a few warnings in the log about disconnects every now and then but they work when I or an automation sends a command.

reboot host would get your system reboot at the OS level.

restart essentially would just restart the HA service - without touching the OS, nor other services (think those addons you might have), nor the supervisor.

Typically when you changes your config or integration, you’d want to restart the HA service.
But then this bluetooth thing touches deeper into your hardware, sometimes a proper reboot at the OS level would help.

And, for people wishing to control curtains … I’d say give it some more time.

The native bluetooth thing is not available until earlier this month (Aug. 2022), so it’s still new. The dev’s initial intensions (as I understand from watching the release) were to at least get a bunch of sensors working (temp sensors, weather sensors, etc.) so that HA could at least read those data feeds and use those data feeds.
… at least that’s the short term focus at the moment.

So more to come.

1 Like