Switched from DeConz to Zigbee2MQTT and am having a hell of a time

My 1 year old fried my rpi3b with DeConz running on it. I’ve been using it for years to control some SengLED bulbs and a few Aqara window/door sensors. So I decided it was time to try Zb2Mqtt and set everything up again. Got Mosquitto setup on my server, and installed a docker container for zigbee2mqtt. I got a couple bulbs and sensors attached and it’s integrated into Home Assistant, but holy moly is it unreliable, like 1 in 20 tries it will actually turn a light on. I usually just get a ‘no response’ error.

Typical Error

Any ideas here? I used this Conbee II and DeConz for years without any delay or issues. Kind of stumped. I’ve flashed the latest firmware to the Conbee II, set my channel to 25 to see if it was interference, I’ve unpluged and rebooted so many times…no idea what to do from here. I can add devices very easily, first try every time. But once anything is added it basically becomes useless.

For example, I have a lightbulb named “Hank”, it cannot control it at all through HA or zigbee2mqtt interfaces, maybe 1 in 20 times it might change, or it will change like 10 minutes later. However I can see its talking on the MQTT protocol still.

Zigbee2MQTT:debug 2022-08-23 13:20:46: Received Zigbee message from 'Hank', type 'attributeReport', cluster 'seMetering', data '{"currentSummDelivered":[0,296551]}' from endpoint 1 with groupID null

Did you configure the ports and user id and password in the mqtt broker? Any mqtt messages in log?

I went through this transition a year ago and it was very straightforward and works super well.

This is strange. The error is a zigbee error, and you got the problem both in HA and from zigbee2mqtt as I read it. So, not related to HA or MQTT.

Obvious problem would be interference, however you tried to change channel and you do not experience problems pair new devices. A few things I would look into.

Do you have a new device that have never been on any zigbee network? Is this different? The problem is that some devices remember some of the old network if not reset.

The access to the conbeeII. Are you sure there are no other SW accessing the conbeeII, like the deconz add-on or something else?

How is your Z2M configuration?

Do you have a long usb extender cable?

I just caught this the other day and it seems you don’t really want to be using a Conbee 2 with Z2M.

While I enjoy his videos, I have been using a CB2 with Z2M without an issues for over 12 months now. Early version CB2s may well need a f/w update though.

Ah, I have seen other cases where firmware updates have helped these situations. That might be a key point to ensuring a solid experience.

Fortunately the Phoscon guys have been very helpful in getting the CB to work (I guess they realise that opening up to other platforms rather than just keeping it in deconz is good for wider acceptance)

Yes, its setup with anonymous access and its obviously working as new devices are added and I can some times control devices, just hardly ever.

works like charm for 18months or so.

I have an aqara motion sensor still in the box, but the sensors seem to be working, and I have to factory reset the devices to add them to the network anyways?

There shouldn’t be, deconz was on my RPI that the SD card was fried.

Its on its own Ubuntu virtual machine, with the conbee attached to it. Mosquitto is running as a service on my windows DNS server, separate vm. HASS is running on yet another VM running Ubuntu.

I just ordered a new USB extension cable, if that doesn’t sort it out, what Zigbee stick do you recommend? Or maybe I just go back to DeConz as it worked with that flawlessly for years.

Same here, absolute no issues… (came from a CC2531 stick, changed it to ConbeeII after it broke)

Im using a sonoff 3.0, however the conbee should work. Just remember to FW upgrade.

I did not understand from you frist post you changed HW type. Think the usb extender will do the trick, a long one like 1,5-2m.

The try with a new devices, forget that. It was because I did not understand the HW was changed, hence wondering about the change in behavior.

So I just tried something on a whim, and it makes no sense to me, but its now working perfectly…

On my ESXi hypervisor I added a new USB 3.1 controller (virtual) to the Ubuntu VM. Before it was using the standard USB 2.0 virtual controller. I plugged the stick back in, and everything is working as intended. I have zero clue why that would be as the CBII is a 2.0 device.

Hope this helps someone in the future with my esoteric (but not that uncommon) setup. Appreciate all the help guys.

1 Like

Suggest following all these generic tips regarding interference, especially using a good USB extension cable in combination powered USB 2.0 hub (USB 2.0 hub with its own external power-supply) if the computer only got USB 3.x ports since USB 3.0 ports and devices cause serious interference so you should really only ever use it in a USB 2.0 port → https://github.com/zigpy/zigpy/wiki/Generic-best-practice-tips-on-improving-Zigbee-network-range-and-general-stability

Well I’m back to having issues. I have a brand new, good USB extension cable. My motherboard only has 3.1 and 3.2 USB ports. I can still add new devices very quickly and easily, but I just cannot for the life of me get any consistant control over my SengLED bulbs. I don’t have any other control devices on Zigbee to see if its something with them specifically or the setup itself. Not sure where to go from here other than possibly going back to DeConz as I’ve had zero issues there. Z2M just seems like such a better system, if I could get it to work.

What f/w is on your conbee? You need to be on at least 26680700.

You, therefore, need to buy a powered USB 2.0 hub (“powered” meaning with an external power-supply to secure power to device) like example https://www.amazon.com/s?k=powered+usb+2.0+hub as such USB 2.0 hub will in practice convert any USB 3.x port into USB 2.0 ports, then you connect the USB extension cord to the powered USB 2.0 hub and the Zigbee dongle to it. Seriously, just read 2.4GHz Intra-System (or Self/Platform) Interference Demonstration - Unit 3 Compliance and https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/327216.pdf