Syncing LED Lights to Playing Music

@papastam you will need to install in your Home Assistant the AppDaemon 4 add-on from the Supervisor tab, and HACS.

• AppDaemon is what we use to run the python app.
  • HACS is the Home Assistant Community Store, which allow you to easily install third-party apps/integrations

Here is the doc for both of them:

Hi there.
Thanks for that amazing piece of code.
I can confirm that it works with SONOS One while streaming Spotify and a VU+ DVB-S2/T2 receiver, too. The VU+ box is integrated into HA and HA grabs a frame every 10 seconds, which then your app uses to generate the colour palette.

Great work! Thanks! :slight_smile:

Your HACS addon works great! Quick suggestion… …for those of us with LIFX Led strips, I know that each LIFX strip have 8 zones that can be configured, anyway that the plugin can support that so that colors are smoother?

Is this possible with a camera entity as a source?

is WLED supported? Cause it is not working properly i think. Appdaemon is picking it up. But no change in light

1 Like

Is it possible to set up a push to sync button or a service to call that would sync the lights based on the current media art? For example, when playing a game on the PlayStation I have my lights sync to certain colours based on game title however insteading of creating scenes for every title I could have an automation that says if Playstation status changes to playing, sync lights to colors based on current media

1 Like

Hi mate2002, is there a way to syn the lights to the rythm of the music? I mean is there a way home assistant could see, and sync on the fly the lights while the music is playing

Is this still live? Couldnt find the app in HACS. Very sad if this no longer works

Hi @matigonzzalezzz
Did you able to get this setup working, I am also interested to use my LIFX bulb to change colors based on the music rhythm

it works, just tested. you need to enable appdaemon in hacs first to install it

I’ve installed the appdaemon and it has started and according to the log it’s listening for a picture change however none is detected. I’m casting YouTube Music from my phone to my chromecast connected to my TV. Here’s my yaml:

media_lights_sync:
  module:
    media_lights_sync
  class:
    MediaLightsSync
  media_player:
    media_player.tv
  lights:
    - light.0xa4c13898f81727a0
    - light.0xa4c13852d0de1129
  ha_url: redacted
  reset_lights_after: true
  use_saturated_colors: false
  use_current_brightness: false
  photo_attribute: entity_picture
  condition:
    entity: input_boolean.sync_tv_lights
    state: "on"

Here’s the log:

2024-01-07 01:13:15.760091 INFO AppDaemon: Calling initialize() for media_lights_sync
2024-01-07 01:13:15.761483 INFO media_lights_sync: Using default quantization method
2024-01-07 01:13:15.762584 INFO media_lights_sync: Listening for picture changes on 'media_player.tv'

Any suggestion?

I've removed the "condition" and used Amazon Music instead of YouTube Music and I'm getting callbacks. Looking at the available attributes of media_player.tv while streaming from YouTube Music, I don't see any album attribute. I tried streaming from my Emby Media player and it doesn't provide a picture attribute either. I think these two music players stream a video instead of displaying a picture.

Where to install it? I’ve installed AppDaemon 4 under Add Ons. I see no way to install it on the AppDaemon page… Searching it through Integrations on HACS finds nothing.