Synology NAS - reliable zigbee?

Thanks for that, glad I asked the question prior to running into issues when the Conbee2 arrived!

No problem, but brace yourself, dealing with HomeAssistant, and the not so standardized world of home autiomation is far from plug and play, and requires alot of tinkering :slight_smile:

Tinkering I’m good at, well lets say I enjoy it!

The good news is I’ve been running hassio on my Synology for about a year now. The Conbee2 is me venturing into removing my hue and Aquara hubs. Funny thing is both hubs and connected devices just work, why I think replacing them is a good idea I have no idea! :slight_smile:

I have the Aqara Zigbee models, and they have been working really well, both multi-sensors (pressure, humidity, and temperature), and door/window sensors. Also vibraton sensors and a button/switch :slight_smile:

Bought a Philips hue outlet and a motion sensor too yesterday, so far i am really satisfied with Zigbee, havent tried Z-wave yet. But i have a Yale Doorman that im installing in a new house next week, so i guess ill have to dive into it then :stuck_out_tongue:

In addition USB 3 ports can cause interference with the ZigBee stick. Intel wrote an article about it here.

So my Conbee2 came in record time, 1 week early with shipping from the US to Australia!
To my surprise I plugged it into the Synology through a USB extension cable, rebooted the NAS and there it was listed under the Hardware section of Hass.io

Using ZHA I was able to find and pair a couple of devices. In short everything just perfectly and took less than a couple of mins to setup!

Well almost, I’m using Node-Red installed through Hass.io, its container fails to start unless I start it with ‘Execute container using high privilege’ selected. The error I’m getting is:

20-04-02 07:39:29 ERROR (SyncWorker_17) [supervisor.docker] Can't start addon_a0d7b954_nodered: 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error ("linux runtime spec devices: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2152702-if00": no such file or directory")

This question might be better suited for the Node-Red section of the forum but guessing someone here might have ran into this.

Thanks in advance.

Yep, this is not even the node red forum, it is the home assistant forum!

Thanks for your assistance @nickrout, much appreciated :slight_smile:

zigbee2mqtt and Synology

Guide

1 Like

Thanks! This is exactly what I was trying to find. I run HA on my NAS 918+ and am looking at introducing a zigbee stick of some sorts. Unsure why I wouldn’t run HA on the NAS tbh - it’s always on! I run git server too and my HA is backed up in there just in case I screw anything up :slight_smile: