Tapo P110 without Cloud usable with HAOS?

Hi,
I recently bought a Tapo P110 to test with the home assistant.
Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get the P110 to run yet. But after the initial commissioning, the question arises, is it even possible to operate the P110 without a cloud?

I have already found several entries in the forum, but no clear statement as to whether it is possible or not.

Would be grateful for an explanation.

Thanks!
Kind regards

I believe it’s not yet supported using the tp-link add-on and only available through HACS.

So there are any other type of power plugs with power measure which works without cloud?

You can use this custom component:

Any type of plug that has an ESP chip that can be flashed with Tasmota or ESP Home, something like a Shelly is a good option.

Thanks for your Feedback, i desided to use Plugs with Tasmota.
And as @kanga_who already written, this works out of box
Thanks

Any update on the P110 support now? Can it work without the cloud?

I see it is hard to read the posts above but here you go:

This custom component supports the P110. And if you are asking using the Tapo app first to set it up, then yes, you need to do that first.

Yes it is possible to use this plug without a cloud. I can’t say anything about using it with HA because I don’t use it and just scrape power metrics to prometheus with TapoP100 python module from github.
After initial setup and configuration of the plug using Tapo app you can block internet access for the plug in your router. Keep in mind that you still have to allow dns and ntp access (udp ports 53 and 123) because without it plug won’t allow itself to be controlled and doesn’t return any metrics. The plug makes dns queries of pool.ntp.org and time.nist.gov after boot and then uses received address for ntp sync. I guess you can spoof these domains with your local ntp server. Led indicator on the plug will always be red and you will loose the ability to control the plug using Tapo app. Also do not activate the plug between midnight and 03:00 am because it will auto-update the firmware. Auto update feature is enabled by default in this time range and will force you to accept update before you can turn it off.

2 Likes

Anyone else noticed that the P110 ignores the router’s DHCP reservation? It seems to pick the IP it wants instead of sticking with the reservation I configured. I have a few other devices (non Tapo) that work perfectly fine with the reservation.

Is there any possible workaround for this as it’s not possible to configure a static IP on the device itself?

I set up one of these today and it respected my DHCP reservation. I’m using UniFi wireless and OPNSense. I didn’t give the plug access to the internet but I did have to use the app to set it up - I was on my main network with the app but gave the p110 the iot network’s details. The HACS integration mentioned above picked it up straight away.

I can confirm that the Tapo P110 can be used with the custom integration after initial setup using the Tapo App. My Plugs never had internet access and I’m using them with HASS now. It was a bit tricky to find the integration , but once I had it active, adding the devices worked like a charm.
Nib

I did fake the DNS query for pool.ntp.org using my local DNS server to point to a local ntp server, though.