Tasmota MQTT IRHVAC Controller

@GerardNL Sorry for serving you bad news, but this should be some bug on the library thet Tasmota uses (IRremoteESP8266) and it is out of our control. The implemetation of the “SHARP_AC” IR Protocol might be buggy or there is a separate variant of the same prrotocol, that differs somehow, and this causes the issue you have.

Hey all tasmota-irhvac users,

Those of you who have ACs with power toggle (where it is the same IR code for on and off), the default tasmota firmware doesn’t handle this correctly so presses on the physical remote are not usable.
This is for AC protocols: Airwell, Whirlpool, etc.

I made a fork of tasmota with a fix.

Please try it out and help finalize the changes. I hope that eventually it will make it into tasmota master branch.
A binary is available or you can build it yourself.

Arik.

Is anyone else having issues with the UI reloading twice or Firefox for Android crashing with this addon enabled and UI elements in Lovelace?

Hey
I’m trying to use tasmota for my LG Air conditioning (Remote controller model AKB74515420).
I built an IR blaster using a SonOFF Basic as there http://www.asknoone.com/ir-blaster-with-tasmota/

Initially I used the receiver to catch the remote ir codes, next I discovered “irhvac” in Tasmota and actually I’m using it to send commands via tasmota transmitter console.

An example “cool” command

irhvac {"Vendor":"LG","Model":2,"Mode":"Cool","Power":"On","Celsius":"On","Temp":18,"FanSpeed":"Max","SwingV":"Off","SwingH":"Off","Quiet":"Off","Turbo":"Off","Econo":"Off","Light":"Off","Filter":"Off","Clean":"Off","Beep":"Off","Sleep":-1}

The problem:
My IRblaster works ALWAYS when the AC is turned off and I send a command, but it doesn’t work when it is already turned on.

Example:

1. Send “cool” command via my adapter, the AC starts
  2. I wait about 5 or 10 minutes
  3. Send “turn off” command (or probably any other command), it does not emit the beep and doesn’t work, but tasmota console logs regular transmission.

Example turn off command:

irhvac {"Vendor":"LG","Model":2,"Mode":"Off","Power":"Off","Celsius":"On","Temp":15,"FanSpeed":"Auto","SwingV":"Off","SwingH":"Off","Quiet":"Off","Turbo":"Off","Econo":"Off","Light":"Off","Filter":"Off","Clean":"Off","Beep":"Off","Sleep":-1}

Some important notice:
a) The turn off command works within the first 10/20 seconds after the turn on.
b) The turn off command do “beep” when the climate is already turned off.
c) Sometimes it works unaxpectatly

Conclusion: a command doesn’t work 9 times out of 10 if the AC is at full operating speed.

Does someone have the same problem?
It seems a problem of my irblaster…

The LG AC might need a very specific command to “turn off”.
See https://github.com/crankyoldgit/IRremoteESP8266/issues/1008#issuecomment-570763580

So it might not work well in this stack because HA doesn’t let mode to be “cool” if power is “off”.

I discovered that the problem was the resistor. I used 10k ohm resistor instead of 100k ohm resistor and it works…

I don’t thik you have to use any resistor at all … :slight_smile: You can see my schema … No resistor at all … Everything is working fine for few years (i’ve built more than 20 IR senders/receivers). :slight_smile:

The card is not updated if I control the air conditioner with the remote control, but I can correctly control it from HA. I have tried both Daikin and Gree but it doesn’t change, but I get the message correctly if I listen to MQTT. Some idea? Thanks

I am completely new in this home assistant , try to setup Hitachi_AC IR remote for couple days, could someone give me some direction to fix it, Thanks you…

*firmware --Project tasmota Tasmota_307034 Version 9.1.0.2(ir)-2_7_4_7
*HAssio version-- 0.118.2

*configration
climate:

• platform: tasmota_irhvac
    name: Panasonic_AC_LivingRoom
    command_topic: “tasmota_307034/cmnd/irhvac”
    state_topic: “tasmota_307034/tele/RESULT”
    protocol: “HITACHI_AC”
    temperature_sensor: sensor.kitchen_temperature #optional this sensor is used to display current temp on the AC card
    min_temp: 16 #optional - default 16 int value
    max_temp: 30 #optional - default 32 int value
    target_temp: 26 #optional - default 26 int value
    initial_operation_mode: “off” # optional - default “off” string value
    supported_modes:
    • “heat”
    • “cool”
    • “dry”
    • “fan_only”
    • “auto”
    • “off” #Turns the AC off - Should be quoted and should be always included here
      supported_fan_speeds:
    • “low”
    • “medium”
    • “high”
    • “min”
    • “auto”
      hvac_model: “-1” # string value
  • console msg
    20:11:32 MQT: tasmota_307034/stat/RESULT = {“IRHVAC”:{“Vendor”:“HITACHI_AC”,“Model”:-1,“Mode”:“Cool”,“Power”:“On”,“Celsius”:“On”,“Temp”:19,“FanSpeed”:“Low”,“SwingV”:“Off”,“SwingH”:“Off”,“Quiet”:“Off”,“Turbo”:“Off”,“Econo”:“Off”,“Light”:“Off”,“Filter”:“Off”,“Clean”:“Off”,“Beep”:“Off”,“Sleep”:-1}}
    20:12:36 MQT: tasmota_307034/tele/RESULT = {“IrReceived”:{“Protocol”:“UNKNOWN”,“Bits”:3,“Hash”:“0xFEAC02E4”,“Repeat”:0}}

*error log
2020-11-30 12:11:30 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Ignoring unchanged update for: sensor.tasmota_307034_status

2020-11-30 12:11:31 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.event] Error while processing state changed for climate.panasonic_ac_livingroom

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/event.py”, line 257, in _async_state_change_dispatcher

hass.async_run_hass_job(job, event)

File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py”, line 434, in async_run_hass_job

hassjob.target(*args)

File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/homekit/accessories.py”, line 404, in async_update_event_state_callback

self.async_update_state_callback(event.data.get(“new_state”))

File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/homekit/accessories.py”, line 426, in async_update_state_callback

self.async_update_state(new_state)

File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/homekit/type_thermostats.py”, line 403, in async_update_state

self._async_update_state(new_state)

File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/homekit/type_thermostats.py”, line 427, in _async_update_state

homekit_hvac_action = HC_HASS_TO_HOMEKIT_ACTION[hvac_action]

KeyError: ‘cool’

I have DHT that is pluged to GPIO5, It shows the temp and humidity in tasmota web admin panel but the can not set the temperature_sensor in the conf.yaml correctly, the climate card does not show current temp, the tasmota log shows the following

19:56:43 MQT: tele/test_ac2/SENSOR = {“Time”:“2020-12-13T19:56:43”,“DHT11”:{“Temperature”:22.8,“Humidity”:2.0,“DewPoint”:-25.9},“TempUnit”:“C”}

What is the right way to config the DHT?

Does the code run on a ESP32?

hi @gh0s7,
I just want to thank for your grate work, I have just tried this today and every things worked perfectly.
and after that I have tested all things with newest version (tasmota-ircustom.bin v9.2 and Home Assistant 2020.12.) and again every things worked perfectly, I don’t know why in the first post you wrote “It is based on “tasmota-ircustom.bin” v8.1

1 Like

I assume as this was the version @gh0s7 tested with. It MAY work with every later version, but the committed one is 8.1.

1 Like

Could anyone help me with getting this to work, I’ve spent hours searching this thread and others for a solution, but I am coming up empty.

I have a Mirabella Genio IR Blaster flashed with Tasmota. I can successfully control my Panasonic AC unit by issuing commands from the Tasmota console. Also, after following this guide, I can control the aircon through Home Assistant: Mirabella Genio IR controller (Kmart) integration

However, the major issue I have is, whenever I issue a command to change one variable, it sets other variables back to their defaults. For example, if I change the Temperature from 18 to 19, it sets the correct temperature but the Mode is set back from Cool to the default of Auto. If I then change the Mode to Cool, it sets the Mode to Cool but the temperature is set back to the default of 21. Similarly, Fan always gets set to the default of Medium when changing any other variable.

Has anyone else experienced behaviour like this? The issue occurs in HA as well as directly from the Tasmota console.

Dear @gh0s7,
Thank you for the wonderful project and good description!
On the github page, you mention mounting the transceiver below your AC so that it has direct line-of-sight to the AC receiver AND it can be updated when using the standard remote unit.
Can you please elaborate on that or show an example? Are you powering the transceiver from the 110/220V power source used for the AC?

Thank you very much Hristo for your excellent work.

I have this working well with a Panasonic air con (CS‑Z20VKR and model 16330 remote). I had some trouble getting the lovelace widget to synch with actions inputted through the manufacturers’ remote. Changing the manufacturer to lower case seems to have worked for me.

Note that with one IR LED the air con unit it is picking up transmissions very easily in a modest sized bedroom, so probably not necessary to add extra IR LEDs for most purposes. However the IR sensor needs to be reasonably close to the air con unit to pick up the transmissions from the air con unit. I am about to 3D print a case and will put IR receiver and IR transmitter on the top so that the unit can sit on a table underneath the air con unit.

This would be an excellent update for the default IR component in ESPHome.

Note that I haven’t got the switches for the optional actions (quiet mode etc) to work, but assume that I have entered something wrong somewhere and will keep working on this.

- platform: tasmota_irhvac
    vendor: "panasonic_ac"
    hvac_model: "6" 
    name: "Bedroom AC"
    command_topic: "cmnd/bedroom_aircon/irhvac"
    state_topic: "tele/bedroom_aircon/RESULT"
    temperature_sensor: sensor.lywsd03mmc_paul_bedroom_temperature_2
   # unique_id: 'panasonic_ac'
   # protocol: "PANASONIC_AC"
    away_temp: 24 #optional - default 24 int value
    supported_modes:
      - "cool"
      - "heat"
      - "dry"
      - "fan_only"
      - "auto"
      - "off"
    supported_fan_speeds:
      - "min"
      - "low"
      - "medium"
      - "high"
      - "max"
      - "auto"
    supported_swing_list:
      - "off"
      - "vertical" #up to down
      - "horizontal" # Left to right
      - "both"
    default_quiet_mode: "Off" #optional - default "Off" string value
    default_turbo_mode: "Off" #optional - default "Off" string value
    default_econo_mode: "Off" #optional - default "Off" string value
    default_light_mode: "Off" #optional - default "Off" string value
    default_filter_mode: "Off" #optional - default "Off" string value
    default_clean_mode: "Off" #optional - default "Off" string value
    default_beep_mode: "Off" #optional - default "Off" string value
    default_sleep_mode: "-1" #optional - default "-1" string value

@ddppddpp I have USB plug on my 220V outlet, that can power USB devices. This is how I power the device. :slight_smile:
Google Photos

@kiwipaul Not all functions from the original remote are supported by Tasmota. Also Home Assistant does not support all these functions to be added to the Thermostat card. Any way, I added them in the config, as if they are supported by Tasmota , you can find other ways to control them - scripts, buttons, switches etc. :slight_smile:

@stibbzy Does Tasmota recognise the IR commands from your remote as HVAC?

@sina Yes, I was planing to update the version each time Tasmota release new version, but I quit this idea. Now it just works. :slight_smile: I’ll have to update the first post. :slight_smile:

1 Like