Tellstick addon broken after 0.60?

Running hass.io and my tellstick platform stopped working after the new update… I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the states-page tells me that the tellstick and sensors.tellstick platform could not be set up. Anyone else experiencing this?

I only have this and the defined sensors in my configuration.yaml, but then again, it all worked before the update…?
tellstick:
host: core-tellstick
port: [50800, 50801]

is the tellstick service sensitive to wich USB-port I use in my raspberry?

Log details:
Error during setup of component tellstick
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py”, line 193, in _async_setup_component
component.setup, hass, processed_config)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py”, line 332, in iter
yield self # This tells Task to wait for completion.
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/tasks.py”, line 250, in _wakeup
future.result()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py”, line 245, in result
raise self._exception
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 56, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/tellstick.py”, line 99, in setup
tellcore_devices = tellcore_lib.devices()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tellcore/telldus.py”, line 173, in devices
count = self.lib.tdGetNumberOfDevices()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tellcore/library.py”, line 257, in check_int_result
raise TelldusError(result)
tellcore.library.TelldusError: Could not connect to the Telldus Service (-6)

I guess its only me then, I tried downgrading to 0.59.2 without success… I even reinstalled hassio from scratch om my sd-card and I still get the same error… gaah :frowning:

Nope, you are not alone, I have similiar issues.
1 out 4 times my Tellstick starts and the rest of the bootups of HA it fails, I think it worked in 0.59.2, but not every time.
Now I don’t think it works at all anymore. Is running 0.6.0 and update 0.4 of the tellstick addon.

This is my log:
2017-12-28 14:09:22 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component tellstick
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py”, line 193, in _async_setup_component
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py”, line 332, in iter
yield self # This tells Task to wait for completion.
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/tasks.py”, line 250, in _wakeup
future.result()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py”, line 245, in result
raise self._exception
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 56, in run
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/tellstick.py”, line 99, in setup
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tellcore/telldus.py”, line 173, in devices
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tellcore/library.py”, line 257, in check_int_result

@Mattie : Have you solved the problem?

@widdde havent had the time to figure this one out during christmas times… but unfortunately no… I’m very keen to get it fixed soon though since the hassio solution seems to be the way to go in the future. I’m currently running my backup installation on windows but since nobody seems to have the problem in latest version in this thread https://community.home-assistant.io/t/tellstick-installation-on-hassio/23208/95 I’m now reinstalling hassio 0.60 once more, this time I wont go back until its fixed. On the other hand I cant say that there is a typo in my config-code since its only three lines and they worked before… so I’m a bit low on morale going into this… Now I’m thinking hardware mabye… :frowning:
please let me know if you figure something out!

I have not figured it out yet either, my config for tellstick looks like:

tellstick:
  signal_repetitions: 3

switch:
  - platform: tellstick

The config is not wrong, because I have got it to work with exactly this config. After a restart it just failed to start.
I don’t think it’s hardware related (hardware failure), if both you and me have the same issue.
EDIT:
I have now tried with another power supply and I have tried to remove my z-wave stick and also tried to put the tellstick duo in an active USB hub. No success.

The duo lights up when a button is pressed on one of my remotes, so it is alive and receives events. But HA does not seem to find it.

I will try to help you…

• What is the output in the add-on log?

• Can you please post your add-on config?

• Same error in homeassistant logs after full host reboot?

• What hardware is the host running?

Same post as posted on github for tellcore-net:

After update to version 0.60.0 of home assistant and version 0.4 of tellstick addon the addon no longer works on my setup.
Log looks like this:
2017-12-29 01:14:19 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component tellstick Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py”, line 193, in _async_setup_component component.setup, hass, processed_config) File “/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py”, line 332, in iter yield self # This tells Task to wait for completion. File “/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/tasks.py”, line 250, in _wakeup future.result() File “/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py”, line 245, in result raise self._exception File “/usr/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 56, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs) File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/tellstick.py”, line 99, in setup tellcore_devices = tellcore_lib.devices() File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tellcore/telldus.py”, line 173, in devices count = self.lib.tdGetNumberOfDevices() File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tellcore/library.py”, line 257, in check_int_result raise TelldusError(result) tellcore.library.TelldusError: Could not connect to the Telldus Service (-6)

Log for tellstick addon look like this:
starting version 3.2.4 [Info] Initialize the tellstick configuration [Info] Exposing sockets and loading service [Info] Starting event listener telldusd daemon starting up Connecting to TellStick (1781/C31) with serial XYXYXYXY

I have seen other people having the same problem and I have not found the reason yet, therefor filing this bug.

EDIT:
My configuration.yaml looks like this and I have not touched the config since the integration broke:
`tellstick:

switch:

platform: tellstick`
(Yaml formatted of course, which you don’t see here)

Same issue after full reboot and same log output.
And as said, this exact config have been working with tellstick duo and right after update to 0.60.0 it stopped working again.

My recommendation is replace with this

Buy sonoff rf bridge 9 dollars, flash it per above and no more hassle. Add 433 Chinese sensors at 7 dollars. It works perfect and has better range.

I bought tellstick, didn’t work with HA. Then TellstickNet, limited to cloud service. Frustrating would be an understatement.

I’m running hassio on pi 2, removed everything except the ports to enable tellstick in yaml without success. There also is no error in our telldus configuration since it won’t even start with the example-config. Even though the service seems to connect to the hardware in the log. Reinstalled hassio from scratch two times with the same result. Is there any way to run tdtool from inside the hassio docker in resinos? That would be interesting.

If the addon starts and shows the serial, there should not be a hardware connectivity issue.

You can actually run the tdtool from hass independently from hass-tellstick communication error.
Go to developer tools, services. Select hassio.addon_stdio

You can call a couple of tdtool commands and see the output in the add-on log (open it in a new tab for convenience).

Some examples below (more at the bottom of this page):

{"addon":"core_tellstick","input":{"function":"on","device":"1"}}
{"addon":"core_tellstick","input":{"function":"off","device":"1"}}

{"addon":"core_tellstick","input":{"function":"list-devices"}}

This should rule out the hardware and add-on config issues.

1 Like

@widdde
I believe switch should have a dash before platform?
And i assume that the host, port and signal_repetitions are preceded by two spaces or similar?

Please post yor add-on options and also try with the tdtool service call like on/off/list-devices etc to rule out that the service is up running and responding to calls.

switch: 

This is my configuration.yaml
I added the tellstick config in the middle of the file after sun: but i guess it would not matter where in the config it is placed… :slight_smile:

tellstick:

switch:

# Weather prediction
sensor:
  - platform: yr
    92: Ute  

{“addon”:“core_tellstick”,“input”:{“function”:“on”,“device”:“1”}}

This seems to work fine, the light switches on/off and I get this in the log:
Execute a TellStick Action for device 9
[Info] TellStick off success → Turning off device 9, LED’s Soffa - Success
[Info] Read off / 22
Execute a TellStick Action for device 22
[Info] TellStick off success → Turning off device 22, LED’s Vägghylla - Success
[Info] Read on / 22
Execute a TellStick Action for device 22
[Info] TellStick on success → Turning on device 22, LED’s Vägghylla - Success

so why cant we get the part in the config file to work…? have we saved the file in some weird format? I’m using notepad++ and saving straighti into samba-share

my config:

Tellstick

tellstick:

Glad that the hardware and add-on are working.

It is difficult to see the actual formatting of the config entries you paste if you do not use ``` on the line before and after the config to avoid reformatting…

In notepad++ make sure that the line feeds are set to unix format when saving:
Menu: edit -> conversion of line feeds -> unix format should be grey.
And UTF 8 formatting
Menu: Format -> UTF-8 no BOM

This should be defaulted if no other program changed the formatting.

The add-on and interaction is really picky when it comes to how homeassistant is restarted as well.
I found that only two ways of restarting works: host reboot or via configuration -> general restart home assistant there.

weird… I’m getting 520 error when trying to post with the ``` even tho the preview seems fine, however, I copied the code from the component page here so it should be fine

tellstick:
(4 spaces)host: core-tellstick
(4 spaces)port: [50800, 50801]

I think the 520 error is something on this site, i got similar error a few minutes ago.

Your config checks out ok as far as i can see then.

You can try to activate debug logging for tellstick component:
in configuration.yaml :

logger: 
  logs: 
    homeassistant.components.tellstick: debug

And check the log in /config/ after reboot. (you can follow the log using np++ in menu view select: monitor (tail -f)

Stupid question maybe, but your add-on is set to boot = auto?

If it does not show more, you might need to dig in to the homeassistant docker via debug ssh interface to see if the sockets are created correctly.

You could just make a quick test to see that the addon is communicating output, set up the ssh addon, login and do a simple test:
ping core-tellstick
you should get ping response from the add-on

nc core-tellstick 50800
you should see something like i-99s after a few seconds.
CTRL+C to disconnect

nc core-tellstick 50801
issue a on or off command via services in hass and you should see output…
If you have any sensors in range you should see output from these as well.
CTRL+C to disconnect

home-assistant.xml (164.5 KB)

log attached but I think it says pretty much the same as the first error in initial post here.

the addon is set to auto yes

Ping = OK
core-ssh:~# ping core-tellstick
PING core-tellstick (172.30.33.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 172.30.33.1: seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.719 ms

nc core-tellstick 50800 = OK
core-ssh:~# nc core-tellstick 50801
16:TDRawDeviceEvent68:class:sensor;protocol:fineoffset;id:228;model:temperature;temp:22.7;i1s13:TDSensorEvent10:fineoffset11:temperaturei228si1s4:22.7i1514758113s13:TDDeviceEventi22si1s1:0

nc core-tellstick 50801 = OK

also I got all the tempsensors as I watched the console, so everything seems totally fine! It just seems like the parameter in my config won’t enable the plugin in my gui… :tired_face:

Good results so far…
If i understand you correctly you have tried with vanilla configuration for the add-on.
Have you tried with all other default hass config files out of the box with only tellstick config enabled?

I restored all yaml-files to original and just put the tellstickcomponent in there, same error

Error during setup of component tellstick
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 193, in _async_setup_component
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py", line 332, in __iter__
    yield self  # This tells Task to wait for completion.
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/tasks.py", line 250, in _wakeup
    future.result()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py", line 245, in result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/tellstick.py", line 99, in setup
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tellcore/telldus.py", line 173, in devices
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tellcore/library.py", line 257, in check_int_result

Ok, so i have made some tests.
Out of the box installations with hass.io.
Installed tellstick addon, installed samba addon, edited configuration.yaml and added tellstick settings.

• On a Pi 3, no problems

• On a Pi 2

• First set up, plugging in tellstick after installation, and only restart homeassistant = fails with same error as you got
    • A full host reboot and it work just fine from then on even when restarting only homeassistant.
      configuration.yaml attached: configuration.yaml (1.8 KB)

Follow up questions

• Is your tellstick device connected via an USB hub or similar to your PI?
  • Have you checked if you run the latest tellstick duo firmware?
    Install telldus center on windows and run tellstickflasher in the program dir.
    (my duo reports “firmware 12” by tellstickflasher)
  • A long shot would be to update your Pi 2 firmware, it seems like you do this with rpi-update within a raspbian installation.

There is basically nothing wrong with your hardware but if the host is not connecting correctly to the device early in the stages of booting it seems to cause identical issues.
And if the tellstick is not plugged in on Pi power on/startup it fails.