Template Trigger Sensors

I’ve recently returned from a few months having had little contact with HA, just really keeping up with the new releases so as not to fall behind.

I just discovered the template trigger sensors. Brilliant!

But… It looks like they don’t work in packages.
Is that right?

If so it is surely a case of what they give with one hand they take away with the other.

I use packages for everything (I don’t understand why everyone wouldn’t, but that’s just me) so I really don’t want to have to group ‘niche’ sensors together outside the package.

The beauty of packages is that they, and I quote from the docs, “provide a way to bundle different component’s configuration together” and then share it. This new ‘development’ (if I am right) is a definite backward step and someone (I will if I am right) needs to update the docs with a big warning at the top to say that packages are no longer fully featured.

1 Like

see: Allow integration template: in packages

Voted.
But does anyone who counts actually read the feature requests?

Yes, Frenk has said he reads through them for ideas.

It’s unlikely that particular request will ever be implemented from the discussions I’ve had on Discord.

I wanted to know if I should update all my templates and was told not to bother as the legacy method is not going anywhere as it is required for packages and that this is highly unlikely to change.

That’s good news.

That isn’t.

And that is.

It doesn’t however allow us to use the extremely useful new feature in a meaningful way (if you are strongly wedded to packages).

I would love to have my sensor update only once a day…
Hey ho!

the only thing that comes somewhat close to the idea of packages is a template: !include_dir_named templates, in which you can copy the structure of your packages, so you at least can bundle them in a logical collection.

other than that, I am really disappointed by the thought it wont ever make it into packages.

Is there a technical reason that is the case or just that the desire to implement it doesn’t exist?

That was the impression I got from the limited discussion.

1 Like

I did.

It was very promptly and, to be fair very politely, closed with…

This can be added to many integrations, this is not specific to this integration and thus should not be added. Nevertheless, thanks for willing to contribute 👍

I wonder if I had not specifically mentioned the template integration it would still have been closed because the first sentence is unequivocally accurate and true and would be useful information for someone looking up packages in the docs?

I am really not impressed. Are packages a thing or not?

But as I already said…
Hey, Ho.

(Afterthought - I wonder if the new analytic data that is being collected can identify how many people use packages?)

tbh, I wonder which this many integrations are. A very long time ago Group wasn’t supported in packages I believe, but other than that, all are working perfect fine?
Even so, if there are any, the same request would stand for those…

Yes, packages are a thing. It is a true oversight, if not regression, not to support template: in packages.

from what I understood from Frenck, its mainly a maintenance thing, Must go and find the exact phrase he used though. following Frenck’s config, you’d suspect he would love to see template: in packages too :wink: